Coin Robberies

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cplradar, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

6 of 11 dogs eat SQL FHs for lunch.

meanwhile, the coins are still stolen

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

???

Steve

4. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

That's why the coins are still stolen. The thieves didn't know what you were talking about either ;)

5. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I don't know about that personally, but his response thus far merits questioning his intention to recover the stolen property. After initial emails, it seems that my father is hiring a lawyer and contacting the Irvine DA's office and filing a criminal complaint for the trafficking of stolen property. He only did this after it seemed that Ian was foot dragging on this. We had this happen with another coin that showed up on Ebay. The criminal complaint lead to an arrest of the ebay poster. He recovered 3 half dimes originally purchased from David Kahan. Really, dealers and auction houses that deal in stolen merchandise need to be jailed. That is not just my opinion, but also the law in most states. Moving stolen merchandise over state lines is a federal crime. The dealers have to just clean up there act. If something changes in this regard, I'll happily report it.

midas1, masterswimmer and Stevearino like this.
  6. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Unfortunately, they have no ethics in this case. the attorney general's office been contacts and we will just have to see where Law Enforcement follows this to. NYPD is not cooperating either. They will give a copy of the report, but that is it.

I'm convinced that dealers and auction houses cover for criminals intentionally, espeically in the coin business. It happens up and down the food chain. When you buy a quality coin, unless you know the complete pedigree of the coin, you can bet that it has been stolen multiple times.

7. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

That sounds like a crazy conspiracy theory, IMHO. You are painting with a VERY broad brush. Careful!

Steve

J.T. Parker, NSP, Stork and 6 others like this.
  8. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

9. Chuck_A

Am I missing something? This coin was sold on February 12th 2017 how can it be the one that was recently stolen and reported unless it was your father's original purchase or the person that won the auction in 2017 sold it to him? So a complaint to Great Collections for this sale is irrelevant.

10. Darkside

Darkside Member

The date of the OP.

Chuck_A likes this.
  11. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Depending on how you title the accounts, you can multiples of $250K.

With bank capital levels very strong, it's also very unlikely that anybody would lose money in a bank unless they held milliions or tens of millions in a very speculative, reckless local institution.

12. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I often wonder the percentage of coins on eBay that are stolen. It has to have some kind of effect on the market when coins sell very cheap.

13. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

Sounds like no thought or investment into security measures and conveying information to too many people. The police don't have time to investigate all of the murders adequately. They don't have time for much else. I'm sure it's no different there.

I've said this on here before. People don't seem to realize how many people are addicted to drugs and get by day to day. There was a couple of women who killed somebody over $20 a while back. Many people have been killed for less than $100.
    If somebody you talked to recently or in the past got hooked on something or made a passing comment around someone else who is addicted, they don't care about your stuff. It's just about quick cash and getting through the day. If you don't understand this concept and take some type of action, you shouldn't be storing anything at home. How about some video of the suspects? One coin would've paid for it.

midas1 likes this.
  14. Chuck_A

Thank you, it's not the first time. I didn't even look at the date and people are responding like it's new.

15. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

When dealers stop buying stolen coins and registration companies get serious about identifying individual coins - then it will largely stop. Until some big dealers get locked up for trafficking in stolen goods, it will not stop. It didn't stop stolen Nazi art from being traded, so it won't stop in the coin business either. There are profits in knowingly selling stolen coins.

16. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

17. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

18. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

@cplradar I don't think there are many here who're doubting the coin was stolen from your father. I believe the masses are offended by your blanket aspersion implying that all dealers and auction houses are crooked and traffic in stolen goods.

Stevearino and Jeffjay like this.
  19. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I can't speak for the masses, but I can discuss facts. The fact is that technology exists to identify individual coins, the same technology that is used for facial recognition. I can discuss the fact that dealers have been known for years to buy hot coins knowingly, on the street, on the internet and at auction houses. It happens at every shop and show. I can discuss that the practice of keeping buyers and sellers anonymous is immoral and its sole purpose is to perpetrate the selling and buying of stolen coins, and tax evasion. When a coin is proven to be stolen, it is simply selling hot goods. At that point, legitimate businesses should cooperate if they care about the integrity of the hobby. We can discuss the fact that this problem is persuasive and it has nearly choked off the hobby at times in the past.

20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I'm thinking that your father used to be a member here on CT.

21. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

And you sent them a copy of the police report in which the coin was specifically identified by serial number?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.