Coin Robberies

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cplradar, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

it wasn't me. Abba thinks it is someone close to him and he feels bad about it.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Sorry to hear about you and your Dad's collection. I know many people wish you and your Dad the best of luck at recovering the coins. I know he had quite the collection while he was an active member here and I am really sad to hear the news!

4. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Whenever I read these stories it really makes me sick. I don't think robbers understand the pain they cause. They probably see the coins as luxury items and pass it off as taking from someones greed or excess. Many collectors put a good chunk of their money into collecting coins. Those that don't still have a bond/sentiment that hurts when it is taken.

OP, you and your dad have to be very proactive. I'm sure your dad is no dummy and he has been around the block a few times in his time, but be sure he reports it to anyone who can help recover the coins. As others have mentioned, pawn shops, police, coin forums, be vigilant on eBay, Craigslist, Auction websites, notify grading companies, etc.

Not only should you have the motivation to recover the coins, you should also be motivated to find out who did it. I wish you and your father a happy resolution.

5. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I honestly don't think most put that much thought into it. I think most of them just see a quick way to make some easy cash. I don't think most have to "justify" it by deciding they are only taking a "luxury from the greedy." Most are just looking to score some quick cash.

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Say Hi to Ruben for me.

7. jlogan

jlogan Well-Known Member

other than you and your dad, who knew you had the coins? most robbers steal electronics like your TV, blu ray, etc. and are out of your house in less than 10 minutes, unless they know for sure that you have coins/jewlery/other valuables, and where they would be stored.

8. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Still think it could be an inside job....someone your dad knows.

jlogan likes this.
  9. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

Hey my travels I'll keep a lookout for these coins I'll check when shows and stuff um if I find them I'll let you know how to put out to my dealer network someone understand that these coins are stolen and they will confiscate them immediately

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

10. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

11. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Those I liked the best, but they are also gone.

13. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

14. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

15. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

He did this, but the police aren't really helping or even taking the serial numbers. What is strange is that we have a huge silver candelabra worth about $30,000 that is a family heirloom and they didn't even touch that. Weird?

16. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

What's it worth as melt? The candelabra in it's present form would be too hard to move, too recognizable. It would have to be melted down to sell it and then it would probably be worth a tiny fraction of that amount. Especially since it would probably have to be sold at a steep discount to melt as unmarked, and questionable silver. Just not worth the risk or hassle.

17. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I don't know. It has 12 candle sticks and might be 10 ponds of silver?

18. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your loss! Having valuable coins @ home uninsured is not advised,use a safe deposit box and take clear digital photos of all valuable pieces please!....

19. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Typically candlesticks/candelabras etc are weighted. They are a silver shell over a "cement" interior that provides the weight to keep them from being tipped over easily.

20. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I think he has pictures of every coin. We don't put valuable things in banks. Banks are owned by the government. Government is bad.

21. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I think it is 100% silver.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.