Coin Robberies

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cplradar, May 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

wow - our family's coins where all robbed this week. All my ASE and my fathers stuff. How is reported?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

I'm sorry to read about this and assume they were stored in the family home. You would report it just like any theft. Most homeowner's or renter's policies cover only a trivial amount of loss for coins; perhaps as little as $250. Hopefully, you had numismatic insurance.

Andrew Snovell and johnyb like this.
  4. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

5. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I don't know. I'd have to ask my father.

6. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Thios site is the single best location to report serious numismatic losses . . . if your father's "stuff" was good, identifiable coinage, he should definitely use this to his advantage. I did when I suffered a loss.

While it didn't end up helping my case in particular, it did spread the word far and wide.

cplradar likes this.
  7. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I don't. I think he has photographs of most of the coins from his internet site. I'm really bummed.

8. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

[​IMG]

like this one

9. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Fill out the form that ToughCoins linked. I would also suggest contacting local pawn shops and coin shops in your area with a general list of what was stolen, so if someone comes in with a group of coins that matches what was stolen, they could let you know.

Also keep an eye out on your local craigslist...

10. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

He said there are too many pawn shops around here.

11. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Not calling any is worse than calling a few. You never know. He can also make a list and drive to the different pawn shops in the area and give them a list to hold onto. Regardless, it is still worth taking action if there is a chance you could recover at least some of the coins.

usmc 6123, Two Dogs, MIGuy and 2 others like this.
  12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

13. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

sorry that happened. that would make me literal sick. taking good pics of your best (most valuable) also making a list of every coin you have on a flash drive times 2. hiding your coins in a spot only you or your father family knows about might help. some people even use safety deposit boxes at their banks for their most valuable coins. checking with local pawn shops and coin shops is a very good idea. also checking the biggest coin shows in your area might help.

usmc 6123 and Bob Evancho like this.
  14. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

I'll ask.

spirityoda likes this.
  15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

recovering some coins would be better than none at all.

16. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

The police in many states/counties are required to notify pawn shops in their area, and they do so here within 48 hrs. Craigslist can be searched , click on 'For Sale' and then put 'coins' in the search box. I get results for about 250 miles, and it only takes a few minutes.

Also, I know this sounds bad, but make a list of people who knew that such were kept at your location, as many such thefts occur by people who have been in the house lately as friends or workers, especially if they have fallen on bad times. Best of luck and hope they are dumb enough to advertise on CL and you recognize their contact info.

17. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

unless it was declare on the insurance policy.. and was given a individual serial number and photo graphed

18. kaosleeroy108

sorry to hear this dude.. I wish I could help

19. kaosleeroy108

most criminals of numismatics items take them to another state.. or sell them on ebay, craigslist... or such

cplradar and usmc 6123 like this.
  20. Pcunix

Pcunix Active Member

In most places (maybe all), pawn shops have to keep things a certain number of dats before disposing of them. In some places, purchases must be reported to local police and I know of one town that requires that report the same day with a photograph.

21. Amanda Varner

Amanda Varner Well-Known Member

You have to fill out a normal police report just like anything else.

Unfortunately, unless your coins were (1) certified and (2) you have the serial numbers, there is no way to identify any one specific coin as yours.

Sorry to hear about this. :(

kaosleeroy108 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.