Coin question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by MEHodges, Feb 21, 2017.

1. MEHodges

MEHodges Member

Hey guys what constitutes a light strike on a coin? I just got 2 2016 P Dime, one looks perfect with all crisp lettering around the coin. The second on has a very defined cameo but the "In God We Trust" moto and Date on the front are lightly on the coin to almost not there. On the back the center torch and surrounding items are crisp but the United states of America and One Dime are very lightly on the coin. I have never seen another coin like this but I am a new collector and figured it was just my lack of knowledge. Please let me know or give me some examples.

Eric

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Pictures!
    you-cant-see-me-cat-cats-kitten-kitty-pic-picture-funny-lolcat-cute-fun-lovely-photo-images.jpg

SchwaVB57 and Clawcoins like this.
  4. MEHodges

MEHodges Member

I tried taking pictures with my phone but in my office light it doesnt turn out good at all. I will see if I can get a better picture soon.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Most likely a Struck Through Debris error. Minor issue.

6. MEHodges

MEHodges Member

Here are the best pictures I can get right now.

Attached Files:

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

When taking photos, it's best that you take them from directly overhead and place your light sources at an angle about 45 degrees.

As suggested by Paddy, the coin was probably the result of a partially grease-filled die. This is a very common occurrence.

Chris

8. MEHodges

MEHodges Member

Sweet another cool addition to a growing collection. I like finding cool and unusual stuff like this in regular pocket change. Thanks guys.

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think your coin could be struck with Late Stage Dies. They are just worn thats all.
    When a coin is struck the metal has to move. The metal on the outer half of the coin has to move in a more lateral motion. This action creates more movement and wear
    on the outer part of the dies. Which after time allows them to produce a weaker strike on the outer part of the coin while leaving the center looking normal.
    This effect is fairly common with modern dimes.
    Stuck Through Grease, more commonly occurs on just one side of a coin.

SchwaVB57 and tommyc03 like this.
  10. cpm9ball

Wait until you find a "Godless" coin! That is one in which "GOD" has disappeared from the motto as a result of a grease-filled die.

Or, how about a coin that was struck in 989 because the "1" is missing.

The more you search, the more you are likely to find some of these "Weird Science" anomalies.

Chris

11. MEHodges

MEHodges Member

I am always keeping my eyes open for these. I did get 2 uncirculated rolls of 2017 P cents (Pennies) the other day. Those will remain in the wrapper!

12. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Here is one that is similar. It also has die chips on the face. DSC05069.JPG

13. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm going through a roll of 1963 cents right now and gobs of grease everywhere in the edges of the coins. After all these years in a wrapper and all the grease is still wet and clear but no struck throughs yet.

14. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Has the grease discolored the coins any?

15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Sometimes, depending upon how much grease is there, some show a bit more shiny directly under the grease after carefully wiping it of with a soft terry cloth.

16. cpm9ball

Tommy, those coins with the grease still moist are very rare. They're "James Cagney Cents"..........."Take this copper!"

Chris:wacky::wacky::wacky:

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted