coin protection

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by lincoln64, Sep 13, 2004.

1. lincoln64

lincoln64 New Member

I realize that slabbing is probably the best protection for a coin. I am curious as to how much environmental protection is affoded by a mylar 2 x 2 if it's stapled close to the coin. Do the plastic Whitman 2 x 2s provide much protection?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. National dealer

National dealer New Member

2X2's are not the best method for long term shortage. Airtites and Kontains work very good, and are really affordable. Just be sure to add a good neutralizer to your safe or box that you keep your coins in.

4. jody526

jody526 New Member

I wouldn't say that slabbing is the best. It's probably good, but I have coins that have been in the same holders for over ten years, and there seems to be no change in color. (if my memory still serves me LOL)

Those Whitman holders work well. I have several coins in them. And, as mentioned, Airtites and Kointains.

The key to storage is controling temperature and humidity, and , of course, not letting anything come in contact with the coins.

5. Ed Zak

Ed Zak New Member

I think everybody in this forum knows how I feel about Intercept Sheilds for coin protection...but low humidity and room temperatures is also the key!

6. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

As has been noted, slabbed coins do tone over time. The grading services use sonically sealed holders, but they are not environmentally inert. Keep the material from heat and light. Commercial products such as Kointain are well-recommended. Amos Press (Coin World) sells a line of chemically inert holders. There are others.

As for 2x2s, I have seen old coins come out apparently pristine. I have seen others where chemicals from the staples have eaked over to the coin. Soft vinyl flips cause PVC damage and now we hear from PCGS that HARD vinyl flips can carry embedded particles that scratch high mint state or proof coins. A hundred years ago, collectors put their treasures in wooden cases, lined with felt. Then we learned that opening and closing the drawers caused "cabinet friction." Of course, the woods also exuded vapors that toned coins.

Heck, it seems an unsolvable problem!

Again, just keeping your inventory away from heat and light is a good first step. I hang on to the the little packets of silica gel that come with vitamins and I put them in the box with coins. There are a lot of homebrew remedies. Nothing lasts forever.

In the world of ancients, we have seen that coins from desert climates -- typically the Ptolemaic issues -- seem to last the centuries much better than those buried elsewhere. I guess that if you want to be really, really careful, you should build a pyramid in the desert.

Miichael

7. neuron

neuron New Member

... in a vacuum, to boot! :D

~neuron

8. JBK

JBK Coin Collector

I am surprised that the old 2x2s are not getting more respect. Personally, I swear by them. There are better holders, to be sure, but at 3 cents a whack, they are good protection. The plastic in them is (and always has been, if I remember correctly), Mylar, which is a top inert material. The cardboard may or may not be acid free, but as long as you make sure to keep any cardboard dust away from the inside of the holder, then that should not matter. Never had that oozing staple issue before, but I think maybe stainless staples (if they make such a thing?) could solve that.
    The downside is that the plastic is thin and that staples can pierce the other 2x2s, so be sure to use pliers to squish them down flat.

I have lots of coins that I put in 2x2s that otherwise would just be thrown in a bunch into an envelope, because they are not worth putting into higher priced holders.

Draft saved Draft deleted