Coin Photos

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Razz, Sep 25, 2019.

1. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

So everyone likes the full sized photos. It seems the TPGs and most of the pros also put the photos side by side instead of one after another. I have been experimenting with the photo editor app and it seems like the process is to take the picture of the obverse and reverse, then crop each photo to get each side the same size. Then use collage to put side by side, then re crop to trim out the excess. Seems like a lot of steps. Is this because the apps are free and the ones you pay for are easier to work with or is it pretty much the same free or paid app? PhotoEditor_20190925_203852580.jpg
    Also on the smart phone this can really take some manipulation to get it close...thoughts or suggestions?

markr and lordmarcovan like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

I use a laptop comp and a program called Photoscape. I like this one because it allows you to crop round objects and also lets you change the background color behind the coin.

So your photos come out looking like this. 1913Sweden.jpg

All I do is circle crop to coin both sides. Then I combine em side by side. You can do both in just a few seconds on Photoscape and you do not have to worry about size or recropping. Oh and Photoscape is a free photo editor.

4. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

So also seems the convention is to put the obverse on the left and the reverse on the right? Although on UK coins where the Queen is on all the obverses seems like most folks want to focus on the reverse...

5. MontCollector

MontCollector Well-Known Member

This seems to be what most people do. Some world coins, like the ones in this thread, can be hard to tell which side is which. So I arrange all my photos this way so it is easy for me to tell the obverse from the reverse.

Razz likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted