Coin Photography

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Walking Sterling Silver, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Walking Sterling Silver

Walking Sterling Silver 16 Years Old and Love to Learn

Im starting to get into coin photography. These are some picture I took. I took ALL of these with an iPad and done the editing with an iPad. No accessories like physical things used. Just editing apps and the standard iPad Camera. I would LOVE feedback and advice.
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Careful with the lighting. Don't want to wash it all away.

Loving the reverse of the '14 Ken.........

4. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Better than I can do!

Kasia likes this.
  5. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

What kind of feedback would you like?

First, I'd say keep working at it. Nothing like EXPERIENCE to teach you how to get something right.

Second, I think the resolution on an iPad camera (or iPhone) is only going to get you so far in terms of image quality. Make sure whatever you're using to take the pictures is sitting down on something stable (tripod, stack of books, etc.) and is flat (parallel) to the coin you're shooting. This will help with the blur and having the entire coin in focus (and round.)

In the meantime...

Lighting is going to be your friend. Try different spots with your lights until you get images you're happy with. With cameras like the iPad's, it's probably not going to do so well with low lighting (so it will bump up the ISO, meaning your photos are probably going to be grainy.)

Also, once you get these other two things squared away, I'd see if your apps will adjust white balance and contrast.

Trying to be helpful and instructive, while saving some knowledge acquisition for you to gain by doing. I'd say right now your pictures are better than about 1/3 of the eBay pictures I see, but somewhere in the middle 1/3. (I'd say mine are at the mid to lower end of the upper 1/3 right now, but I'm still working on it.)

There are some GREAT threads here on CoinTalk dealing with coin photography. I recommend reading through them from time to time.

Good luck!

Aidan_() likes this.
  6. Walking Sterling Silver

Thanks! My iPad is balanced out. I will try to experiment with lighting. Most pictures on ebay are standard from grading company pictures. My pictures are meant to capture the coin only. No background.

7. stldanceartist

Keep working on it, and post some more pictures as you go!

8. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

What artist said. ;)

9. Walking Sterling Silver

10. stldanceartist

See, already much better. I could almost start cherrypicking your eBay listings now. ;)

spirityoda likes this.
  11. Walking Sterling Silver

Prepare for this next one, didn't have much to work with. Too much mirror on this one.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Jason Hoffpauir and green18 like this.
  12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Great first attempts, especially from an iPad camera! What generation iPad are you using?

I notice you chose big coins. What can you do with something like a dime? I'd be interested to see if you can get any detail on, say, a high-grade, full bands Roosevelt.

P.S. I agree these are as good or better than the median eBay listing picture.

13. Walking Sterling Silver

I haven't tried anything small yet because I'm a Half Dollar and Dollar enthusiast. I'll see what I can do though!

14. Walking Sterling Silver

Almost impossible to take a halfway decent picture of a dime.

15. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

I recommend taking the photos not an angle. Do not do flash or any direct light. Put it in a lit environment for lighting. Natural light is best, set it near a window to take the photos.
    Here is a good editor online that I use for all my photos.
    http://apps.pixlr.com/editor/
    I set this on my kitchen counter which is next to a huge window, I took the photo head on not at an angle with no flash
    morgandollar.jpg

If you want a photo that removes luster and shows strike and contacts marks more do it in more direct natural light or with a lamp close to the coin.

Take a look at my avatar, it was took with my phone using that affect, I edited it in the program I showed you, I cropped it by hand. Time consuming process but worth it.

mercurydime.jpg
    For proof coins I try to do the same method as above. Remember, never take the photos at an angle
    20150126_165443.jpg

Try to have fun with your coin photography as much as you can!
    IMG_20141123_162916.jpg

Good Luck!!

Attached Files:

Jason Hoffpauir likes this.
  16. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

@coinman1234, are you aware one of the files you attached looks like vomit on carpet?

17. Walking Sterling Silver

It's an ancient coin I beliebe

18. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

No it's a zincoln penny that looks like vomit I found metal detecting.:cat:

19. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

keep experimenting. I need to have my girl friend get a tripod and then start doing my best coins with her fancy camera i bought along with a fancy macro lens i also bought her.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  20. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

There is a great book on the subject by Mark Goodman. Of course, I realize that not everyone can or wants to invest in a book on photography, but if you are so inclined and can get a copy then it is a great tool. Good luck with the shots and keep plugging away.

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Draft saved Draft deleted