Featured Coin Photography: Lens Commentary using Nikon D7000

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by geekpryde, Jun 6, 2014.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

@geekpryde .......actually, this was the thread that makes more sense to me today than it did a year ago.

My initial efforts with the 105mm were rather disappointing and, lacking the time or the initiative (grand jury service for the last month), I hung it all up for awhile and employed the point and shoot for all of my coin photos. Today was my first effort at really acquainting myself with the lens and the camera (D810) with regard to coin photography. Between the lens and the camera you get a combined weight of about 4.5 pounds so there is no way you can shoot closeup and hold the camera steady....that's why God gave us tripods. :) Here are a few shots that I'm not absolutely totally satisfied with, but it's a beginning. Gonna have to play more with settings I suppose. Anywho, I took Geekprydes' advice and set the camera to aperture mode with an ISO of 100. I also used 'trueview' and auto focus (which I'm told you shouldn't do) and came up with these..........

DSC_0366.JPG

DSC_0365.JPG

DSC_0375.JPG

DSC_0376.JPG

Tad overexposed, I know, but better than my first efforts a few weeks ago. No lights employed. Only existing light.

DSC_0379.JPG

DSC_0381.JPG

I do better with larger coins. Dimes and reverse proof coins confound me........

geekpryde likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I know alot of people here say NO to autofocus, but I greatly prefer it when I am taking coin photos (all photos actually). When taking photos of non-moving objects, like coins, make sure to set you D810 to Single-Point AF-S, NOT AF-C. See here for detailed explanation (among many other places, including the manual).

I few more settings you might find handly for taking pics with Nikon using the tripod:

Electronic Front-Curtain Shutter. I dont have that in my camera, but I use "Exposure Delay mode" for all coin pics. You should read about both.

I cant tell you enough how imporant leveling the camera is. The mirror trick really does work great!

If your not using Lightroom, I would recommend it. Shooting Tethered will make you camera, hands, photos, and back much happier! It will greatly reduce shake from pressing the shutter release button.

Your photos are looking great!!

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

No they don't...they suck! I'm expecting, endeavoring , for much better. For one thing, the existing light source is the dinning room window. Also, lots of colored objects in the room, lending to the nature of the final photo.

As for 'tethered', I've looked into that. Better than true view? I'm guessing yeah. :)

6. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

Part of me really likes the reflected light from shiny coins showing as black - especially with coins like the Chinese pandas. But I know it is not real. Good light / light management is the way forward for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted