Featured Coin Photography: Lens Commentary using Nikon D7000

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by geekpryde, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

Great looking picture! What are you using for a light source?

geekpryde likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Love it. Great shot. I have a 45-150 telephoto with macro. Got to try that one. Thanks for the idea.

geekpryde likes this.
  4. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

If I help even one person, it was worth it. :)

The bummer is, this is a $1000 lens, I paid $80 to rent it for 5 days with shipping to test out. I would say it is definitely better than any other lens I have tried for coin photography. Now I need to think about how to pay for it, and also I need to use my Sigma in the meantime, which will just never be the same to me again. This is a good news / bad news type of story. :arghh:

Another shot for the road:

1864 TWO-CENT PIECE PCGS MS 62 LARGE MOTTO, BROWN, CAC Obv closeup f5.6 105mm-683.jpg

5. geekpryde

2 goose-neck lamps with Spiral Compact Fluorescent (19watt / 75 watt equivalent)

1930 QUARTER DOLLAR - STANDING LIBERTY, TYPE 2 PCGS MS 58, CAC Obv closeup f5.6 105mm-720.jpg

Caleb likes this.
  6. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

Your taking some great photos.....

About how long did it take you to learn how to get nice photos like this with a DSLR?

geekpryde likes this.
  7. Caleb

Caleb Active Member

I've heard other people say that the lens is what takes the picture, now I understand what they meant!

geekpryde likes this.
  8. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

If the camera is set on a tripod / fixed mount and the coins are always sitting in the same place, I don't see why you have to focus at all. Once everything is set, wouldn't it continue to be in focus?

A macro lens has a very shallow depth of field at most apertures so I get that minute differences could be impacting the focus, but for the most part I would have thought that the focus point would be the same every time. I would use f-16 or smaller to get good DOF.

The 105 macro is one that I don't have. I do have the bigger brother, the 200mm macro. Would that work, or would it be "too close" for coin photography?

9. geekpryde

We'll I have been into cameras for about 15 years, and coins on and off for around 20 years, and one day in the last 3 years I decided to combine the two. Basically, it was seeing all the eye-candy on CoinTalk that made me step up my game.

I would say that I really struggled at first with the lighting, and changed out some very small LED goosenecks for the larger goosenecks lights that could accept a full sized spiral bulb. Basically a lot of trial and error. I really like full-slab shots, as this shows the basic coin info, the cert#, the CAC sticker, the type of slab (fatty, OGH, doily, etc). My Sigma 50mm prime was a cheap macro lens that produced "good-enough" results for a few years. Lately, I have been trying hard to get better as replicating results of Robec, Tom Bush, WingedLiberty, blu62vette, and others. I asked a few people, and many use a telephoto macro lens, which I had never really considered before. The best thing about https://www.lensrentals.com/ is that you can try high-end gear before you but it.

Ill post more about my trial and errors.

Morgandude11 likes this.
  10. geekpryde

Depends on if you are DX or FX (Canon calls it something else, see here for more)

So, on my DX 105mm really = 157.5, so that is not wildly different than someone using a 200mm on a FX. But the 157.5 is really very close at ~10 inches from coin, so really in my opinion this lens focal length is plenty, and from all the lenses I've tested, is basically a perfect coin lens for the Nikon shooter. But I have not tested anything with a > 160mm macro, so I cant say for sure.

The lens does focus very slightly coin-to-coin, and even very small changes can make a big difference, for instance scratches on slabs can be a very big nuisance. If you go to f11+, you really start seeing all these scratches show up in the photos. To some extend, 5.6-f8 lets you focus past those scratches. So you keep a shallow-er DOF than you might think, and be more anal about the focus.

Even micro adjustments such as the previously mentioned AF-fine-tune can make a big difference, camera to camera, and lens to lens.

11. geekpryde

So true! I was thinking it was some other aspect of my setup, but I am almost ready to declare that my current gear + 1 new lens can make all the difference in the world.

Here are some other detailed reviews for further reading:

http://www.bythom.com/105AFSlens.htm

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105vr.htm

Still tons to learn, but I wanted to share before I figured coin photography out, as this would be another 10 years!

1853 HALF DOLLAR - SEATED LIBERTY, ARROWS & RAYS PCGS ARROWS & RAYS CAC Rev closeup f5.6 105mm.jpg

Last edited: Jun 8, 2014
  12. robec

robec Junior Member

I see nothing with the results you are getting. The 105mm is doing a great job.

As far as the ControlMyNikon software goes I don't have an answer as to why it looks like that. Maybe some tweaks to the application is needed. The Canon software looks great until zoomed in 200x. Then it becomes pixilated, but you are still able to fine tune focus. At the very least the initial monitor image should be better than what you are seeing. That is a little disappointing.

With auto focus you will have to be conscious of any marks, scratches or scuffs on the slab. They will interfere with focus, but you know that already.

geekpryde likes this.
  13. robec

robec Junior Member

I used to have the same thoughts that f16 would achieve sharper focus than f8-f11 and certainly sharper than f5.6.
    After doing a test with a coin using the same settings with exception to f-stops, my results were the complete opposite. The smaller the aperture (larger the number), the mushier the image became.

These are only 640x640 so the differences look very subtle. By toggling back and forth the difference is far more evident. The first image (left) is f6.3 and the second (right) is f16.

[​IMG]

geekpryde likes this.
  14. geekpryde

This has a lot to do with lenses being at their sharpest in the middle apertures, say 5.6-11. Different lenses are sharp at different points, but many get "soft" at f16+, not to mention at f11+ you are really losing a lot of light, and the shutter speed has to slow way down to compensate, or you need to crank ISO, which also makes the photos grainy and soft.

1951 S HALF DOLLAR - FRANKLIN PCGS MS 66, CAC Obv closeup f5.6 105mm-734.jpg

15. robec

robec Junior Member

If you use a copystand or tripod you shouldn't need to change ISO. Of course I'm speaking only for myself. I use Aperture Priority mode and 100 ISO. The shutter automatically adjusts.

16. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

You're on a tripod. Shutter speed should not matter. :)

The aperture f-16 should give you the best quality image. I would suggest that you use it, set the ISO to the best possible quality your camera supports, and let the shutter speed float to whatever it needs to be for that particular aperture / ISO combination. Or better yet, get a proper shutter speed by exposing a gray card and then set everything manually so that your camera doesn't try to "Fake you out" by adjusting something on the fly that you're not aware of.

If the lighting is right, the focal length is consistent, and basically everything else is the same, then every exposure should be exactly the same. Otherwise the camera will try to bring lighter-colored coins down and bring darker-colored coins up in the exposure, as the logic in the camera is designed to skew towards the middle (gray) colors.

17. robec

robec Junior Member

You should always have ISO set as low as possible. Since you are using a tripod you won't need to worry about long shutter speeds.

As for f-stops, if you are using center metering, using f56-f11 is more beneficial to a sharper focus, especially if lens is horizontal to the coin. The central focal area will be much sharper than f16 or higher. The peripheral edges may be slightly sharper with f16, f22 and up, but only at the expense of softer detail in the main focal area of the coin.

I know of no coin photographer that uses anything but one of the middle (f5.6-f11) aperture setting. I suggest you to do your own test with several aperture settings and make you own conclusion. Please let us know your results.

18. geekpryde

I thought that too, but at this extreme macro shots, there is just enough vibration from the camera itself, and the floor the tripod is on, that faster shutter speeds are better in my testing. I really don't like to use anything less than 1/125, and more like 1/160 is better. I mean, the camera is on the tripod rock solid, but when I am looking through the viewfinder at a coin 10 inches away, at a focal length equivalent of 157mm, I can see the coin bounce around a tiny bit from the slightest step (my dog / kids / wife), or if I breathe on it. The test shots I've done with the sigma 50mm were better with faster than 1/125 than say 1/60. But I'll admit I did not actually test slow shutter speeds with the 105mm, but I assume unless I really have the tripod weighted with sand bags, I think the vibrations are enough with any lens to mess with perfect focus. (I do see people weigh down tripods with sandbags, or other weights, but I have not tried this yet).

1853 HALF DIME - SEATED LIBERTY, STARS OBVERSE PCGS MS 53 ARROWS, CAC Obv closeup f5.6 105mm-689.jpg

19. robec

robec Junior Member

You need to lock down the mirror. Check the camera manual to find out where to activate the feature. It eliminates camera shake caused by the mirror slapping while the shot is taken. If you aren't using the computer to control the camera's shutter get a remote (wireless or wired are cheap). This will eliminate camera shake as well.
    My shutter speed often is slower than 1/25 with no visible shake.

20. geekpryde

If I had the money, I would be buying this lens from http://www.bhphotovideo.com/ today. In fact, I may sell my 55-200 and some other things to try and scrounge up the money in the coming months.

1/320 sec, f5.6, ISO 200, 105mm:

1912 FIVE-CENT PIECE - LIBERTY HEAD, -CENTS- NGC MS 63, CAC Obv closeup f5.6 105mm-694.jpg

21. geekpryde

Thanks for all the replies. I do use the remote trigger from Lightroom to take all shots. I have used the "exposure delay mode" on Nikon, but I don't see that much of a benefit.

I read on the DP forums this feature described as:

This is separate from mirror lock up, so ill check that out, I found this to read: Shooting Techniques / Static Subjects

robec likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted