Coin Photography ~ Any words of advice?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Briguy, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Briguy

Briguy Collector 4 Life

I would like to start taking close-up pictures of my coin collection. I just can't get very good pictures... I have a new Canon digital camera and a tripod so I should be able to. I'm always getting glare on the pictures. If you have any pointers I'm all ears.:confused:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Use the search function here and look for the phrase "coin photography". You will find lots of threads related to this topic with all kinds of tips.

4. drathbun

drathbun Well-Known Member

The search here does not work very well. I tried quite a few times and did what you did, I started a new topic. However, that topic got some good advice and I also collected some links to other topics... so you can start here:

http://www.cointalk.com/t222108/

5. Briguy

Briguy Collector 4 Life

Sounds reasonable... I did the search and just my own thread came up as something related to the subject. I didn't see any other titles that were related to coin photography.

6. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I agree the search function is limited.

The best thing to do would be to read this article in it's entirety.
    There is nothing myself or anyone can write in this thread that isn't covered in the article.
    http://www.coinimaging.com/photography.html

Looking forward to seeing your new and improved images!

-g

7. Briguy

Briguy Collector 4 Life

That sounds like great advice. Thank you!:smile

8. brg5658

9. Briguy

Briguy Collector 4 Life

Thanks a ton I'm sure I can find some helpful information. I am really looking forward to taking some great photos of my collection. :thumb:

10. brg5658

If you have any more specific questions feel free to ask. There are lots of good folks here, and lots of good photographers. These links, and especially the link gbroke gave you will be good starting places for you to learn the basics.

Post your images here for feedback! We are also a very honest bunch ;)

11. Briguy

Briguy Collector 4 Life

Okay... here is the results of my first attempt. 174.JPG
    175.JPG

12. Centennial

Centennial New Member

That looks great!!! Way better than mines of my artwork... That Barber Nickel is fantastic. That's at least an MS-63, MS-64 The problem with flash is the filtering, that's what gives out that 'burnout' effect. It's haunted me for years, and still does... I would suggest OTT lamp for lighting, and no flash with the camera, when taking pix... I'm still working on taking good pictures, and let me tell you,... It helps!

13. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

I've never used a tripod before which is why I ask this question. Can you make the camera look straight down using one?

14. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

It depends on the tripod and the head attached to it. What brand/model are you using?

15. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

Never used one before.

16. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Well, you said in your first post that you have a new tripod...some tripods have a function where you can adjust the head to point the camera straight down.

17. gunnovice09

gunnovice09 Nothing

This is my post. I am not the OP

18. Briguy

Briguy Collector 4 Life

Thanks... I looked at a lot of coins the day I bought this one. It was just barely in my price range and it had a great strike with mint luster. The eye appeal was superior to many of the other coins that I saw. I give it a grade of MS-63 who knows what NGC or PCGS would say. I think I would like to have it slabbed someday. I'll keep working on coin photography I would like to catch more sharpness with the camera. I used a tripod with a lamp for additional lighting.

19. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

Buy Mark Goodman's book, read it and start to practice.

20. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

There is a ton of information on the web about taking photos of coins, I would suggest that you read as much as possible and don't be afraid to try new things.

I have spent years trying to figure out how to use my DSLR, and while I'm pretty happy with some of my images there are always some coins that give me trouble. Trying to capture luster and or color can sometimes be quite challenging, you have to experiment with lighting and or settings.

I've been amazed at some of the photos I was able to get with my 1.3 mp microscope.

One of the things I started doing early on was to keep a notebook of my settings for different types of coins. That way when I have to shoot the same type of coin I can check my notes and quickly set up the camera. You could keep your notes in a spread sheet or any other program.

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Practice, practice, practice......and after that, more practice. The prospect of getting the finished product to look like the coin in hand can be most eluding at times. Thankfully, digital photography affords us the luxury of viewing our photos in 'real time' so we can make proper adjustments.

Draft saved Draft deleted