Featured [Coin Photography] A Blacker Black

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by TIF, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I re-imaged this coin outside on a cloudy day. The color is correct, but for some reason I cannot get a clear image of the lettering. It seems blurred.

Camera Nero and Claudius.jpg
    Cell phone
    Desktop1024-removebg-preview.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

It depends on which images you mean. The shot of the Taras reverse alone is just a cropped version of the "raw" image. I did nothing to further blacken the background because it is already maximally (or very nearly maximally) black) and that was the point of the shot. For the picture with the old and new joined together, I did cut out the coin and paste it into the other shot, so the black on that particular composite is computer generated... but you cannot see any hint of outline where I extracted the coin.

@dougsmit's and @Cucumbor's system is a very smart way to achieve a black background but for some reason just never did that. Now that I have a blacker black paint on the stand, I don't need to do it the "smart" way :D. Perhaps there are small ways in which the Black 3.0 coin stand is superior to the can technique: it is easier to access and position the coin and there is one less part to deal with (the can).

Cucumbor, zumbly, Paul M. and 2 others like this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looks great! Very black. Is the coin sitting directly on the velvet or is it elevated above the fabric?

I'll have to keep an eye out for some deeply black velvet and give this a try.

5. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Its sitting on the velvet.
    I use an upside down plastic carton as a light box with a hole cut in the base for the camera lens or phone lens to poke through.

TIF likes this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

Crude, simple, but effective.
    I've been using that box for 15 years.:D

35.jpg

34.jpg

7. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

That's a neat set-up and some great tips on getting a non-reflective black background. I'm in the process of building a stand for my Nikon DSLR and due to weight and shutter vibrations, I'm building it with a lot of mass on a heavy wooden base (I have a machine shop so I can fab up clamps/rods/mounts to suit my own desires.) I had been dithering about what to cover the base with but you've made my decision for me with your test of the paint. Thanks again.

TIF likes this.
  8. As a photographer, black velvet was always best for very black backgrounds. Lint can be brushed off of it and it doesn't reflect or glare unless the light is really harsh.

Cucumbor, Paul M. and TIF like this.
  9. Deacon Ray

Deacon Ray Artist & Historian Supporter

Thank you for this great post, @TIF ! All your images are beautiful. Also, I’d never heard of Vantablack before I read your article. I looked it up and it’s amazing! :wideyed:

10. lehmansterms

lehmansterms Many view intelligence as a hideous deformity

I use the 6 1/2" x 8" black velvet "board" insert from a small jewelry tray. Usually this, plus elevating the subject above the background (I use a set of 1/4" drive wrench sockets, each with a gob of plasticine "clay" on the end. I'll choose a size (diameter) which the coin will easily block out and use the clay to secure the "tilt" angle of the coin in the available light. This is almost always all that's necessary to place the background completely out of the focal range which even eliminates a lot of dust. I keep a small paintbrush handy to dust things, just in case. The coin itself is as likely to pick up a bit of dust, flake of dead skin, etc, and the brush is handy to clear any loose material off the face of the coin, too.
    Typically, that does the trick and I don't have to edit out the background, etc. Occasionally, the black background will pick up a little light and not be dead black - in this case, I find that a small adjustment of the "contrast" to a slightly higher value will make the black background really black in almost all cases.

11. TIF

TIF Always learning.

12. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I'm a black velvet guy too, plus I use some black paper cylinders to imitate the dougsmit method. When it's not black enough I just adjust the "black point" a bit.

Screen Shot 2019-10-23 at 3.11.51 PM.jpg

That said, I would like to try the paint...

13. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

If you’re looking to buy an iPhone 11 just for the cameras, I’d reconsider. You can save yourself a lot of money (which you can spend on coins instead;)), and get 80-90% of the benefits of the latest iPhone by buying a used device from one or two generations back. The camera on the iPhone 8 or iPhone X is really good, too, probably as good as the PowerShot.

Stevearino likes this.
  14. TIF

TIF Always learning.

When forced to buy a new phone I generally buy a generation or two old and save money. Not sure why I'm having to fight the urge for the latest greatest this time.

Stevearino, Orfew and Paul M. like this.
  15. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Oooh, I really like that shooting backdrop. Can I buy him? :D

16. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

I've found that he really distracts my wife, so yeah, sure! I'll trade him for a vial of that black paint...

Stevearino, zumbly and TIF like this.
  17. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I am using an IPhone 7 and it is an excellent phone with a very good camera

Stevearino and TIF like this.
  18. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

My old iPhone 6s isn't too shabby either.

Steve

TIF and Orfew like this.
  19. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I have a 7 Plus right now.

20. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

I looked at the plus but I did not like the size. For years I resisted upgrading because I loved the "5" form factor. I used an SE for several years.

On the good thing and bad thing duality the phone allows me to work anywhere. As a matter of fact I was just using the Garage band app to work on a piece I am writing on acoustic guitar. I can record both guitar and voice and the sound is quite good.

Severus Alexander and TIF like this.
  21. Terence Cheesman

Terence Cheesman Well-Known Member

My friend uses a much simpler technique using as a background an old auction catalog and natural sunlight Lysimachos Tetradrachm Lampsakos mint 297/6-282/1 B.C. Thompson 61 17.22 gms 30 mm lysimachos8 - Copy.jpg

Sulla80, Paul M., chrsmat71 and 6 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted