Coin Photo Newb

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Coinlover67, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

Just starting to get into how to get quality photos of my coins without having to spend a lot of money. Here are some test images for your critiquing. I will reveal what captured the image afterward.

Coin test.jpg

CCI09222016_0001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It's a tad on the blurry side. I think this may be due to the fact that you have a white background and a heavily circulated silver coin.

Chris

4. SSG_Gonzo

SSG_Gonzo Well-Known Member

This is an image I took using an iPhone:
    1802 Lg Cent #1.jpg
    I used an iPhone, the side of a 2x4 and a small LED light. I sent the image via email to myself and then used Microsoft PowerPoint for editing. Works for me.

5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Not too shabby. Scans (OP)?

6. Speedbump

Speedbump Not a New Member

I recently discovered that you can simply mount an SLR lens backwards to simulate a macro lens. Not as good as an expensive macro lens, but certainly good enough for what I need. Lens mount adapters are available online for like $15. This might work for mirrorless interchangeable cameras too.

7. Coinlover67

Coinlover67 Well-Known Member

You are right. I have wanted to try it for a while now but never got around to it. This was a quick job and I plan on seeing what I can do to improve it. I did not mess around with it any in editing, but may switch out the background with something darker.

Sent from my A463BG using Tapatalk

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The reverse lens trick does work and any camera can be forced to take coin photos if you want it to. Why did you clip the edge of the coin off? Some scanners will make decent black background shots if you leave the lid up while scanning. Again you have to set the exposure correctly to get best results.

Draft saved Draft deleted