coin photo copyrights

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by silentnviolent, Dec 2, 2015.

1. davidh

davidh soloist gnomic

The only question I have is why do you want to protect your photograph? What would you gain by prohibiting others to use the image? What would you lose if others used the image?

Now, if you take a photograph of a pretty sunset that you want to market the image commercially then I can see a copyright. But if you're merely picturing a coin or medal you have then, in my mind there's no justification for copyright.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

As I said, the only images of this particular medal I can find are owned by the MN Historical Society and use of their image generates them revenue.

Perhaps my photo will be better than that of the MNHS, and some day when an author writing a book on any number of subjects where it could tie in would happen across it and want to use it.

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

One guy I know will often spend a lot of time and effort on taking great photos from all kinds of angles, different lighting etc. One time he discovered that a dealer used one (or more) of his images. That was here in Germany, but apart from the option to register, the regulations regarding copyright are about the same. And no, he did not like that "theft" ...

Christian

Kasia and silentnviolent like this.
  5. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

There doesn't need to be justification for a copyright. The copyright comes into being when the work is created. Protection of the copyright is another issue, and that is up to the copyright holder. Just like I can decide whether or not to protect my sandwich from someone else wanting to eat it (my PBJ cost me less than $1 to make), I can choose to protect copyrighted material I have produced. Whether the costs justify it or not is purely my decision.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
    Kasia, silentnviolent and Hommer like this.
  6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Interesting, however the key in the ruling you cite seems to be "in the public domain". And public domain has a legal definition - http://legal-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/Public-domain - So, if something is not in the public domain, then a picture of it, the picture itself, can be protected by copyright.

That said there are legal qualifications that must be met for a picture to be protected by copyright. Those qualifications are listed in the Visual Artist Rights Act of 1990 -

Visual Artists Rights Act - VARA (1990)
    Rights of certain authors to attribution and integrity” - Section 106A, US Code - Title 17 - Copyrights -

Definition of a “work of visual art” in Section 101, US Code

(1) a painting, drawing, print or sculpture, existing in a single copy, in a limited edition of 200 copies or fewer that are signed and consecutively numbered by the author, or, in the case of sculpture, in multiple cast, carved, or fabricated sculpture of 200 or fewer that are consecutively numbered by the author and bear the signature or other identifying mark of the author; or (2) a still photographic image produced for exhibition purposes only, existing in a single copy that is signed by the author, or in a limited edition of 200 copies or fewer that are signed and consecutively numbered by the author.

“A work of visual art does not include–(A)(i) any poster, map, globe, chart, technical drawing, diagram, model, applied art, motion picture or other audiovisual work, book, magazine, newspaper, periodical, database, electronic information service, electronic publication, or similar publication; (ii) any merchandising item or advertising, promotional, descriptive, covering, or packaging material or container; (iii) any portion or part of any item described in clause (i) or (ii); (B) any work made for hire; or (C) any work not subject to copyright protection under this title.

That said, it seems to me at least and I am no lawyer but it is spelled out pretty clearly, that unless those qualifications are met, then there is no copyright protection for a photograph. Personally, I'm surprised by this.

7. silentnviolent

silentnviolent accumulator--selling--make an offer I can't refuse

So, by that definition a single, watermarked (with some form of a signature), photo that is exhibited here on CT would be protected by copyright law. (?) At least that is what it would seem to me.

8. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

A single un-watermarked photo exhibited here is protected by copyright law. The issue at hand is how you would enforce that law. Registering your image with the copyright office, and actively pursuing violators are key to getting the copyright enforced (ie, images "un-stolen" or paid for).

silentnviolent likes this.
  9. KoinJester

KoinJester Well-Known Member

IIRC, Photoshop or whatever has a way to put a "clear page" over the top of your photos so when someone tries to save it all they get is the translucent page.

Kasia and silentnviolent like this.
  10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Alt+PrintScreen should defeat that.

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I had always thought so too. But according to law as cited above, they are not.

12. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

This is actually one place where the law kind of makes sense (in one sense :) ). Our goal with coin imaging is the most accurate possible depiction of the coin, the polar opposite of "creative license" which - to me - forms the basis of copyrightable work.

13. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

I agree, actually, so it appears I was wrong.

It looks like that definition of "visual work of art" does exclude photos (and scans) of coins and paper money where "...Such works shall include works of artistic craftsmanship insofar as their form but not their mechanical or utilitarian aspects are concerned;" (from http://copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html). In other (my) words if there is artistic work in the photo, then it can hold a copyright, but if there is simply the mechanics of pointing at a known object and setting up the exposure (or even more simply using a scanner), then it cannot hold a copyright.

14. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

I think you are misreading that act. It itemizes certain specific types of work that might otherwise not be certain to be copyrightable, but it says nothing about all other visual works are not copyrightable under other parts of the law.

Until VARA it wasn't certain that a limited edition work WAS copyrightable.

15. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Wrong. The photograph is an original work of authorship fixed in a tangible medium of expression and barring exceptions and allowing for fair use the photographer owns the copyright. Copyright in both the US and abroad is statutory. Neither does the owner of the copyright need the little symbol, that's only for public notice.

Read his disclaimer...

"Note: The author of the above article is not a lawyer and this article should not be construed as legal advice."

Read this...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/102

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
    Kasia likes this.
  16. SuperDave

Let's keep reading, shall we? In fact, we'll start at the very beginning of it, 17 USC 101, "Definitions." Here's an excerpt, bold mine:

A coin image for our purposes is, by definition, the most accurate-possible depiction of a physical object. The inclusion of anything resembling "artistic craftsmanship" in that kind of image ruins it for us.

You can't take a flawlessly-accurate picture of the Mona Lisa and copyright it, can you?

17. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

Bad example. The Mona Lisa is in the public domain. So an exact images of public domain works can't be copyright isn't what is being discussed.

Further, not all coins are in the public domain. The US government has various rights, including that some of the images are licensed by the US Mint from their creators:

from http://www.usmint.gov/consumer/?action=Jewelry

But for same of argument, it's likely that the design of, say a Seated Liberty IS PD.

However, while your goal may be a exact copy, there is no such thing. The amount and placement of light(s) to reveal the details of the coin, etc. are surely creative (how many times have you heard the photographer lament that the coin "looks different in hand"?)

Plus, for fun, let's ask whether this is a "Monkey selfie"? The fight there is whether the choice made how to crop the PD image is sufficient artistically...

Kasia likes this.
  18. SuperDave

Interesting point, Burton. If the US Government owns copyright on the design, how could anyone else ever copyright a realistic image of that design?

19. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I posted this in a different thread. Perhaps some of what I said may be germane to this discussion.

chrisild likes this.
  20. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Back in the days when I had a website about Scottish banknotes and coins I had numerous "lifts" of images that turned up on eBay. All were at some level fraudulent since some used the image to sell something they really had but were too lazy or incompetent to image, others were outright nefarious schemes to sell something they didn't possess an example of.

At another point I found one of my images being used on a website in Scotland without citation or permission - and the hosting company took it down after I contacted them.

After awhile it rather became too much of a pain to even bother with a website. After being overseas for awhile it became too much of a PITA so I just nuked it.

21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Do I need to get into the case law? Give it up. You're confusing everybody. A person takes a picture, he owns the copyright in the picture. It doesn't matter if it's of a coin or the McDonald's Golden Arches.

Draft saved Draft deleted