Coin Of The Day!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Wheatmaster101, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

practice taking shots head on rather than showing oblique views.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. 712

712 Constatutionalist, U.S.N. Viet Nam vet 66'

My coin of the day, this beautiful, lotta luster, Capped Bust Half Dollar. PCGS put its value at $800, graded AU55

1828 50c obv.jpg 1828 50c rev.jpg

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Also, shoot lots of photos until you get as close as you can to an 'in hand' look. Sometimes I rush too much to publish a photo to this site, but that's usually because I'm excited to get it up on here. When I'm really serious about taking a photo of a coin I really love I'll typically shoot between 40 to 50 photos under different lighting conditions and camera settings.

krispy and 712 like this.
  5. 712

712 Constatutionalist, U.S.N. Viet Nam vet 66'

I do the same thing, I don't like the term, being anal, but I guess I am about the pictures, lighting, angle, white balance, on and on and on:confused:

6. Nuglet

Nuglet Active Member

I'm pretty sure this is an "Old Green Holder" not a "Rattler".

7. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

Sorry no coin of the day tomorrow because I will not have enough time in the morning and just got home tonight.

8. krispy

krispy krispy

When you get time, maybe follow some of the ideas and look up the App mentioned in this thread:

Better iPhone coin photography

9. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Now that you have linked to a thread about how to take pictures, maybe we can focus on what this thread was supposed to be about... coins of the day

10. krispy

krispy krispy

There's more advice here than in that thread and the OP seems open to the advice. If you're not just move along. And it's not 'coins of the day' but "coin of the day", the OPs.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  11. Wheatmaster101

image.jpg
    Here is the coin of the day. I do not have this coin yet and it is coming in the mail. I would grade it at Au-58 to MS. It could be worth $200+ dollars depending on the grade. That's all for today!

712 and jwitten like this.
  12. krispy

krispy krispy

Another nice piece, Wheatmaster! Great to see the before pictures, and I can't wait to see the after pictures, when you get the coin in hand and try to image it yourself. I always save the seller or auction listing images when I buy a piece. It's always interesting to see how someone else presented the image of the coin compared to how we do it ourselves. I think you'll probably do better than this one did. Hope the coin meets your expectations in hand too!

13. Wheatmaster101

The reason a coin was not posted this morning is because the coin of the year is being posted!!! Here it is, the mercury dime!!!

image.jpg

rayman311 and 712 like this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Classic, comely, and commendable. I like it.......:)

712 likes this.
  15. krispy

krispy krispy

Very nice coin and image. It seems a marked improvement over your previous images. Is this with your iPad, also?

16. rayman311

rayman311 Active Member

Nice photo! Couldn't wait to see it. Kudos!

17. krispy

krispy krispy

Looks like the OP isn't posting his own coins for Coin of the Year...

Same coin appears on this site.

Image URL: http://www.usacoinbook.com/us-coins/1944-d-mercury-dime.jpg

[​IMG]

What gives Wheatmaster...?

jello likes this.
  18. rayman311

rayman311 Active Member

I may have missed it, but didn't think the coin of the day, week or year needed to be his own.

OP: "This thread will be where the coin of the day will be posted. It is just a fun way to learn something new about a coin. I will try to post a coin before 11am every day."

I personally enjoy seeing his coins and your photographic tutelage, which is quite admirable. :)

Kasia likes this.
  19. krispy

krispy krispy

Then credit should be given when using others' images. Maybe something else the OP will have learned from his thread. :)

20. rayman311

rayman311 Active Member

True

21. Wheatmaster101

Krispy, would you continue this thread, because I have zero time on my hands now and you are the expert photographer :D

Draft saved Draft deleted