Coin Of The Day!!!

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Wheatmaster101, Dec 21, 2014.

1. Wheatmaster101

Wheatmaster101 U.S. Cent Collector

This thread will be where the coin of the day will be posted. It is just a fun way to learn something new about a coin. I will try to post a coin before 11am every day.

swamp yankee likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy Active Member

I love this coin!

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Me too. How do I get one of these? devil.gif

Kasia likes this.
  5. McBlzr

McBlzr Sr Professional Collector

I just learned this coin could be invisible ;)

Kasia and spirityoda like this.
  6. HoosierDaddy

Stunning toning, I think.

7. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Patience people, the OP didn't say which day. Maybe tomorrows the day.

JPeace$ likes this.
  8. HoosierDaddy

Hard enough waiting for Christmas!

9. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I see NO flaws... definitely MS70!

10. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  11. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

Go COLT,s Oh wrong page !!

12. krispy

krispy krispy

The OP said, "I will try to post a coin before 11am every day." Whether it's before or after the time given, today included, there is said be a coin which would imply even one on the day the thread was initiated. Starting a thread without a coin of this day ready to go it short sighted and fails to attract a serious audience.

13. HoosierDaddy

I'm ready now.....let me have it!

14. Wheatmaster101

Settle down people. I was going to start yesterday but I found that there was mildew and dampness all over the place in my room that I keep my coins. I had to move everything out and then I couldn't find the coin. And by the way that invisible coin is the most stunning ms-70 I've ever seen.

So the first coin (second if you count the invisible), is an 1887-O Morgan silver dollar graded Ms-63. It has a nice tone on the front that is dark near the rim and dies down towards the center of the coin. On the back, it has a spotty tone.

image.jpg image.jpg
    Sorry the pictures are so bad, but it is hard to get a good image of this Beautiful toned coin. This coin is valued at $140.00 by NGC, but could be valued more or less to others depending on how they feel about the tone. This coin was designed by George T. Morgan, who also designed the Colombian exposition half dollar. It was made in the new New Orleans mint, which closed in 1911 soon after the making of Morgan Silver dollars seized. That's all for today!!! :p

712, swamp yankee, jello and 5 others like this.
  15. krispy

krispy krispy

A day late and a dollar short... Work harder on your photos. You can get the results you want. It's not impossible to capture the color, as we have many examples of those who manage the effort for the reward of capturing the image of the coin that represents it best and what you can see in hand, which we too would like to see.

16. Wheatmaster101

Today there will be two coins of the day, because I felt that these two should be in a pair.

So the second two coins are an 1862 and 1863 indian head penny. They are ungraded in cardboard flips, but I would say that the 1862 is F-15 to VF-20 and the 1863 is XF details, due to a small scratch on the rim on the obverse of the coin. They have a nice chocolate brown color, which can be expected from coins this age.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
    I would value them at around 35 dollars for the two. The Indian head cent was designed by James B. Longacre, who designed both the obverse and the reverse. Also, he had to change the reverse after 1859, because he felt the coin needed more detail than the back of the flying eagle cent. That's all for today!!!:cyclops:

Kasia, dwhiz and HoosierDaddy like this.
  17. krispy

krispy krispy

Nice!

Photo tip for the day. :)
    Next, try shooting photos straight on, rather than at such an angle and remove coins from 2x2s to avoid glare and reflections on the plastic or the camera from focusing on the holder rather than the surface of the coin.

green18 likes this.
  18. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

I like what your doing.... Keep taking photos and don't be afraid to try changing lights, angles, & camera settings. Keep track of things on a spread sheet so when you find something that really works, you have a record of the settings, it will come in handy later.

green18 and krispy like this.
  19. Wheatmaster101

Thanks for the tips guys! I'll be sure to listen to them and record what really works well for me. I've been trying to take the pictures from straight on, but my shadow or my camera's shadow always seems to get in the picture. Any ideas?

20. green18

Pics are improving. :)

I'd put the '63 at VF........

21. green18

Got a timer on the camera? Mount the camera on a tripod and employ the timer or shutter release.......

swamp yankee likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted