Coin Not in Krause Books

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by effigyjo, Jan 2, 2016.

1. effigyjo

effigyjo New Member

Hello Everyone,

Another question was raised by my fine combing my extras. What do you do when you get a coin that is not listed in Krause's Standard Catalog? I have just found a couple of coins that kind of fit one catalog number and kind of fit a second catalog number but somehow the dates don't match the book. (I would post them here but apparently my pictures don't come through well yet...I am working on that too.) How does one go about validating a coin prior to spending a mint of money to send it off to NGC or otherwise? I hate to spend the lot for a worthless coin. Thanks.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jensenbay

jensenbay Well-Known Member

You could try the NGC online world coin price guide lookup.

4. PHanagriff

PHanagriff Active Member

Agreed, I had the same problem a while back on some world coins.
    Google what information you can see on it and look at images of what pops up.
    I'll watch this thread for photos (both sides, please) and maye the elders here can help.
    Good luck.

5. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Can you at least give us any info on the coin

6. krispy

krispy krispy

NGC World Coin Price Guide

Numismaster Find my coin

Numista

All of the above links can be used for free for basic look up information, which is all based on the KM books. Sites like Numismaster withhold some of the details, which they reveal if you subscribe, but it's all the stuff you'd find in KM books.

Sometimes KM numbers are changed (revised) depending on the edition you have, somethings are not even correct in KM (sloppy editorial typos), and some coins truly are "Unlisted" in KM if they are indeed that rare.

You can also try sites like Sixbid, Coin Archives and even search Heritage Auctions' Archives, as they provide KM numbers among other cataloging info in their descriptions.

If you provide photos of the piece here, you can get free info from the forum members who will know it or look it up for you too.

7. paddyman98

Great.. I always use Numista.. I kind of wanted to figure it out for the OP if they gave us the info, then I give them the website ;)

8. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

An image of the coin, or at least a description would help.

spirityoda likes this.
  9. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

krispy and mlov43 like this.
  10. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

tell us what country and denomination at least. a pic both sides?

11. effigyjo

effigyjo New Member

Thanks for the quick replies.

The first coin is a 1901 Queen Victoria Farthing. The book says with blackened finish. It is catalog #788.2. The coin is XF but not blackened at all. (I do have a few of those so I know what it looks like.) This looks exactly like #788.1 but the date doesn't fit.

The second coin is from Mexico. It is a 1977 10 Centavos catalog #434.x. It has a sharp end and a narrow date like #434.4 but again the date doesn't match.

12. effigyjo

effigyjo New Member

Oh, and the Mexican coin is also XF so it's pretty clear to see...an thanks again.

13. Numismat

The "blackening" was a technique to prevent people from passing the coins as half sovereigns. Sounds weird, I know, since the design was not the same and the farthings had the denomination on the coin, but apparently it was a thing. There are blackened and unblackened versions, with the unblackened ones usually being less common.

As for the Mexican coin, pretty sure there were varieties for every year in that range. Krause is notorious for crap editing.

14. paddyman98

I want to share this image with you from the Numista website -
    mexico.JPG
    Also - http://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces3157.html

Numismat likes this.
  15. effigyjo

effigyjo New Member

Thanks again for the Numista link. I use them too, but as I mentioned earlier the coin is a 1977 and is not listed as having a sharp end and narrow date. So, where do I go from here? I can't possibly believe the odds that I would have the only one.

paddyman98 likes this.
  16. Hi:

With the information I have available, the blackened Farthing began to be minted in 1897. Some were blackened and some were not due to timing that year.
    (Both types available in 1897)

From 1898 to 1917, all were blackened. In 1918 the blackened Farthing was changed again to bright with both types minted in the year of change (1918).
    Someone or body decided it was no longer necessary to make a black Farthing.
    (Maybe the population become smarter)

From 1919 forward, only the bright Farthing was minted.

Your coin might appear to be the bright version but it is really blackened, in my opinion. My guess is that they were oxidized so oxidized (circulated) bright
    Farthings were also dark in finish in the "bright" years.

Collectors of Farthings also have trouble distinguishing both types on auction sites by the photographs. You my have to purchase what you think is the correct one and judge for yourself or ask an expert in Great Britain coins.
    Krause lists both KM numbers in 1897 and also in 1918.

If these is still a problem, try a older or newer Krause reference.

Hope that helps.

CW

17. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Thanks for that.
    So it isn't just me that thinks this.

18. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

I have searched webpages using "site:"

site:en.numista.com/catalogue/ 1901 Queen Victoria Farthing

19. Numismat

Hard to argue with a 1940's Fiji florin used as the plate coin for an 18th century Austrian thaler lol

mlov43 likes this.
  20. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Try to suggest that they fix it sometime. Or perhaps you can just scratch that: I've been THERE before with suggestions to glaring factual errors in the 1901~2000 SCWC. That was 3 years ago.

I have yet to hear back.

Draft saved Draft deleted