Coin Mistakes On TV

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by tommyc03, Mar 3, 2021.

1. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Watching "The Blacklist" last night they had an auction which included a 1943 D Bronze cent up. The auctioneer started the bidding at around $2 million and it closed at $3 million. But the twist was the auctioneer stated it was graded by PCGS. James Spader's character Redington was stealing it and when the time came to do so, it was in a 3 ring binder with a bunch of other coins. The close up showed it was not slabbed but in a plastic 2X2. Ooops! What coin related blunders have you watched on TV?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I'll have to go back and watch that one again, I don't remember it. Do you happen to have the season and episode handy?

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I think it's episode 89 or right in the immediate area. Been binge watching. Season 3.

BuffaloHunter likes this.
  5. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I'm getting ditzy in my old age. If there are 23 eps. to a season it might be season 4. Watching 3-4 eps. a night has me a bit foggy.

6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

On "The Curse of Oak Island" (the expert!) Gary Drayton dug up a coin with a square hole in the middle (Woo woo!). He identified it as European when in fact, it was Oriental.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

I simply assume most everything on tv concerning coins is simply wrong. Even pawn stars. They had a shekel of Tyre on once and every single "fact" about them was wrong. The stupid thing is the truth was just as interesting! Why make up lies that aren't more entertaining than the truth?

That is when I stopped watching pawn stars, and just assumed any other "coin stuff" on tv the writers will simply get wrong. Even Percy Jackson movies have the silver drachms gold for some reason. That writer is usually pretty decent about getting history right.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I remember the old westerns where a patron would throw a silver dollar on the bar. You heard the heft when it hit the bar. But then I've seen modern westerns where this happens and it sounds like an aluminum token hitting the bar.

Matthew Kruse likes this.
  9. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

I enjoy watching Pawn Stars except it kind of sucks that its all staged lol.

potty dollar 1878 and YoloBagels like this.
  10. YoloBagels

YoloBagels Well-Known Member

I watched that episode the other day lol. On top of that Rick offered way less because the coin was "cleaned." And the coin looked completely fine.

Really 99% of the viewers won't care. I just watch for the antiques.

MIGuy likes this.
  11. YoloBagels

12. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

There twins!!or at least they should be one makes all the money and the other rips off people well to make more money:hilarious::hilarious: 20210303_163417.jpg 20210303_163446.jpg

MIGuy and YoloBagels like this.
  13. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Remember the episode when a person with a liberotas Americana and half disme came in that was intreasting.

14. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Coin related blunders on TV? That’s easy.

People buying coins from HSN.

NSP, Jeffjay, Bradley Trotter and 3 others like this.
  15. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

So what's that shekel really worth?

16. YoloBagels

There's some nicer ones listed on Ebay for ~$1300-$1700.

Beefer518 likes this.
  17. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

From the size it looked to me like a half shekel not a shekel. He did over pay. And if the insurance company compensated the original owner, wouldn't they now have a claim on the coin? Another problem is there are lots of those shekels out there that are raw coins. How could they know that the one they bought was the one reported stolen and not one of the thousands of other raw shekels? Unless there were good images of the stolen one and it matched.

Would you watch it if it wasn't staged? Week after week of them sitting around hoping that something interesting would walk in? In the meantime buying common everyday "stuff". Would you tune in to watch that?

Beefer518 likes this.
  18. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

The first episode of Narcos says that it takes place in 1989.

Screenshot (26).png
    And then it pans over some money.
    Screenshot (27).png

But wait! Those big-head $10s could NOT have been printed before 1992.

19. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I can't think of a coin mistake but I can think of a postage stamp mistake. In the movie The Flying Leathernecks (1951), there's a letter that bears a stamp that wasn't issued until after the war.

tommyc03 likes this.
  20. Gam3rBlake

Gam3rBlake Well-Known Member

I just tried that outside with a cull Peace Dollar (same size as Morgans and SLDs of the the time period) You’re right! It was loud and heavy and scratched the desk. Fortunately the desk is junk anyway and I’m taking it to the dump.

tommyc03 likes this.
  21. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Follow up... Check out episode 100 (Season 5-Ep. 11) as it continues on about the 1943 D bronze cent but the mistakes are more glaringly obvious. The Denver Mint gets robbed by Redington.

Draft saved Draft deleted