Coin Market and the Stock Market

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dug13, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Dug13

Dug13 Well-Known Member

This month, July, will mark the 100th month of the current Bull run in the Stock market. Second longest in history, 113 months being the record. While approximately the same time frame the Coin market has seen declining values. And yes, there is a small area of the coin market that has seen some positive increases, but overall prices have been on a downward trend.
    So my question is, when the Bear returns to the Stock market, as defined by a 20% drop, will this reverse the depressed coin market? I realize the Stock market is investor driven and the Coin market is collector and investor driven, so not an equal comparison.
    I've been a collector for 40 plus years, but only really active again for the past 4-5 years.
    So I haven't paid attention how the 2 markets react to each other during previous cycles.
    Has anyone observed this?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

It's interesting to ponder. I'm afraid I know too little about the stock market and macroeconomic trends to have much of any intelligence to say, or to be able to speculate at all. (I'll bet there is much "speculating" going on, though!)

Funny you chose the phrase "Bull Run".

Just look at what happened there. Was quite the beginning of a time of chaos and turbulence, wasn't it? Hmmm.

[​IMG]

green18 likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

PS- The Antique Sage is one of my favorite blogs I've stumbled across in the last year or so. It is aptly named, as the author (about whom there is tantalizingly little information available - nary a name at all on the "About" page) knows a lot about antiques ... and coins, too. And financial markets.

Here's one article that doesn't exactly address your stock market question, but seems to delve into similar topics:

The Intriguing Relationship Between Coin Prices and GDP

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Here ya go, observe.

[​IMG]

6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

For your convenience, here's the inflation-corrected Dow over about the same interval. Note that the vertical axis is logarithmic, which tends to squash the peaks, but is arguably better for viewing long-term financial data. Grey bands represent recessions. I'll see if I can find a non-inflation-corrected version, as I believe the PCGS chart doesn't correct for inflation.

Edit: the site where I got this claims to offer options to turn off inflation adjustment and log scale, but they don't seem to work. Maybe later.

stocks-1970-present.png

7. Daniel Lowery

Daniel Lowery Active Member

We all have seen the $500,000 coins continue go up and the $30-100 coins go down. My thinking is the wealthy are getting wealthier and there are more of them, so the price goes up. They don't want cheap coins.

If Trump is successful is buoying up the incomes of the middle class, that could reverse the slide. If he doesn't, we will wallow for a long time I'm afraid.
    Dan

harrync likes this.
  8. John T.

John T. Active Member

When the market goes down, silver and gold go up for sure. Silver and gold coins go up as well. I'm not sure about the others. While prices are down, I'm buying mint sets, because they're cheap.

9. GDJMSP

We have ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Doesn't look like they've been going up to me. Looks much like the rest of the coin market to me.

This is the market as a whole for 10 years.

[​IMG]

This Morgan and Peace dollars only for 10 years.

[​IMG]

fish4uinmd likes this.
  10. Daniel Lowery

I defer to your charts. What I base my opinion on is the newsletters that say this or that is up. They are normally high priced coins. But...I am usually wrong and see no reason to change my track record.

Kentucky likes this.
  11. GDJMSP

Just remember Daniel those newsletters are usually trying to sell ya something. And rarely is it the truth they are selling :)

12. Daniel Lowery

Why you are a philosopher. Thanks.

13. harrync

harrync Well-Known Member

I hate to ruin your track record, but when it comes to $500,000 and up coins, I think you are right. Check out https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-ultra-rarities-index-10-most-famous-coins ; that index probably tracts half million dollar coins better than the key dates and rarities index - and it is back to an all-time high after a big hit after 2008. Billionaires want "trophy coins" - that is, coins where you can say with confidence to your billionaire friends: "I have one and you don't." You can't say that with an "ordinary" rarity.

14. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

This has already been proven not to be true.
    Sometimes the market goes up and silver and gold go up.
    Sometimes the market goes down and silver and gold go down.
    Sometimes the market goes up and silver and gold go down.
    Sometimes the market goes down and silver and gold go up.
    The market has been up 100 months in a row. ( 8 years+) Here is the 10 year chart for silver, from your statement it should point straight down.

15. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

There is nothing "for sure" in the various investment markets, especially that statement.

16. Michael K

17. Michael K

It's almost flat for 5 years.
    ag3650nyb.gif

18. Daniel Lowery

Thanks. I feel better.

19. Michael K

Gold chart last 10 years
    au3650nyb.gif

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It's lost almost half its value in 5 years, and that's in nominal dollars. In constant dollars, the drop would be even greater.

What are you looking at that looks "flat"? Can you double-check the labels along the bottom to see what years you're examining?

21. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I suggest that we will learn very little from studying these charts from about the time of the meltdown. Stocks, bonds and precious metals were all skewed in a manner we may be waiting a long time to see again. Frankly, I hope it is a REAL long time.

Draft saved Draft deleted