Coin Maintenance

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by TJ1952, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

I use acetone on every coin prior to submission, so also that, but mostly you're just seeing differences in lighting and color balance. The only shots I took with my regular photography setup were the after pics on the 1868.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

IME, w0hen I see "blue" = acetone but I've gotten this exact color/surface/excellent result w/MS-70. Nevertheless, it does not mater how /what is done as long as the coins come out as nice as yours did. You can give us all lessons :shame:

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

BTW, what is MS-70?

5. Insider

A coin cleaner, and pre-dip. Very useful for coin conservation and as far as I know used at each major TPGS. Learn to use it correctly and you'll swear by it (in spite of what you'll read on CT). Unfortunately, we think they changed the formula "slightly" around 2001. The color changed (and still does from batch to batch). Betterbilt claimed the formula did not change but IME the product worked much better in the past no matter how good it is today. One conservation lab I've been in keeps the old stuff "locked away" for the director's use on really rare stuff. One day, the old stuff will be as rare as "Blue Ribbon" and "Trike"

Betterbilt Chemicals.

6. Kentucky

Sorry, as a chemist, I meant what was in it...I looked it up...holy crap, potassium hydroxide. If you got this on your skin, it would dissolve it. Similar to lye, but stronger. Be careful with it! http://www.translinesupply.com/PDF/MDSSHEETS/MS707530.MSDS.pdf

7. Insider

Yep, it will take your fingerprints right off - I know :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:. That's what Q-tips, and tongs are for. That is also why it is a faster, more effective "cleaner" than VC.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Actually I believe lye (Sodium Hydroxide) is more corrosive (stronger base) than Potassium Hydroxide. But even more important is the concentration of the base. Sure concentrated lye will eat your skin off. But diluted it can be quite safe. Lye is used in the making of pretzels and bagels, noodles, chemical peeling of fruits and vegetables, processing cocoa, and chocolate.

9. Kentucky

A quick search gives me contradictory information, one site says KOH is stronger and another says NaOH is stronger. You are right, concentration plays a key role. NaOH is used to take the skin off of corn and make hominy, while the residual NaOH in lye soap just makes it a good cleaner and usually won't take but half your skin off. : - ) Either one is strong and I don't think a dilute solution is used for coin cleaning.

10. Insider

It is not. Full strength all the way, every day, makes the film and crud go away.

Kentucky likes this.
  11. Insider

NOTE: WARNING VERY IMPORTANT WARNING

There are many cases where you do not want to touch a copper or silver coin with MS-70! Only experience w/the product will guide you and SOMETIMES that does no good. For example: MS-70 can make the stains on some silver coins more pronounced and If used on the wrong ED on a copper coin it will remove the ED and turn the area shades of red!:oops::oops::shame:

12. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

I was being facetious. I have no clue what the mods think. They're scarry

Insider likes this.
  13. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

pKb of KOH is about twice that of NaOH.

Both are extremely strong bases, especially as the ionic strength increases. In my experience brief skin exposure to strong bases isn't really that bad as long as you rinse it off immediately. It turns the top few layers of skin into soap but it's not what I'd call an "emergency". The eye is a different story.

On another note, I used to regularly prepare saturated sodium hydroxide solution for lab work.....arrrrggggggg. I hated the stuff, very high respect for it! It concerned me more than mineral acids.

Kentucky likes this.
  14. Insider

...and smooth as glass. Soon some entrepreneur will make MS-70 smell better and sell it as a beauty product to women!

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

MS70 is a good product for what it is designed to do. It works especially well on modern clad coins, including some hazy Proofs. Many dealers and collectors use it on moderns when they plan on sending them in for grading. That is after all kind of the origin of the name for the product.

And yes, the TPGs are known to use it themselves when they think a submitted coin may benefit from its use. Of course the TPGs have even publicly admitted to using coin dip on submitted coins if they think the coin could benefit. And they do this without the owner of the coin granting his/her permission for them to do it, or the owner even having any knowledge of it at all.

But it (MS70) has a nasty reputation for turning copper blue. So most recommend that it not be used on copper.

16. Insider

CT members may wish to check on this. AFAIK, unless the submitter puts PLEASE CONSERVE on the submission form as I have seen done by one TPGS during the recent FUN show, the TPGS better not touch a coin (even though it may improve the eye appeal) or they could get accused of a switch! :bigtears:

I heard/read a story in a grading seminar (long ago) that happened at the old ANACS in DC. Someone sent a 1936 Proof Lincoln cent in for certification. The collector bought the coin at some auction where it was described as being a "Gem" Proof with "beautiful sea-green toning." When the coin got to ANACS, the "sea-green' toning turned out to be LIQUID PVC (?) contamination . The inside of the plastic flip and the coin was WET! :wideyed: ANACS removed the stuff (I think they used acetone), graded the coin and returned it. Soon after, the owner :zombie: claimed they had switched his coin
    and demanded restitution. I believe ANA paid his claim and kept the coin. Lesson learned? :banghead:

This is absolutely true!:angelic: Some people (the uninformed) should not play with guns, knives, or chemicals. Nevertheless, the experienced professionals at NCS and ICG (two services I can speak of with certitude) know how to easily turn the color back to "original" in seconds.;):muted:

This is a great tip!:):kiss: You should RARELY dip a clad coin. MS-70 is first choice.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    TJ1952 likes this.
  17. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Like I said, they (NGC and PCGS) have publicly admitted it. In articles published in Coin World and Numismatic News both, their first admission was published in 1995.

18. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

MS70 has its' place, used carefully, but as the gist of the explanations of it indicate, it is nearer the edge of being more intrusive than necessary. Only patience stands between the conservator of a coin and success with milder methods. That does not mean a collector learning to conserve should not become expert in its' use; quite the opposite. On the (mandatory, IMO) scale of relative intrusion - and therefore greater risk to the coin - MS70 could reduce a process from three lesser steps to a single step, lowering the chances of a mistake.

Insider likes this.
  19. Insider

MY BAD...They actually said they did this? NCS was not even around back then.

:eggface::eggface::eggface: Actually, you are 100% correct. I FORGOT:facepalm::facepalm:. Mike Fazzari, told a class how the idea for NCS was developed when he went into a cleaning closet at NGC and took some copper spots off a gold coin (which then went up a grade). That was sometime after 2000.

Still, I'll bet they said this to get more business and I'll also bet the owners of the coins were "big" customers who knew. I've been told that some large volume customers have given a "blanket" permission for any conservation that was "free" and could improve the coin.

20. Stork

Stork I deliver Supporter

@Insider (if I'm not wasting too much of your time)

What took the copper spots off the gold? I've seen some spotty Albanian gold coins in a slab where poor Zog looked like he had the pox. Seems like (if it were me) the coin should have had the spots removed as at least one of the coins was a pretty nice coin otherwise. Except for the pox.

(Assuming this is not proprietary information).

Or, if spots are 'conserved', do they come back?

edited to add--found a screen shot. This is in an MS-65 PCGS slab according to the auction listing.

Zog pox.jpg

21. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Spots can temporarily be removed by any normal conservation method (a dip, for example). However, because the spots are often due to inconsistencies in the alloy, the can sometimes return. They are called "copper spots" because these are localized areas of higher copper concentration - gold does not react with much, but copper reacts with just about everything. The reddish-orange spots are where the copper in the alloy is reacting. If you don't completely remove the higher copper areas (which would leave a pitted coin), the copper spots may return.

Insider and Stork like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted