Coin Magnifying Camera

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Matthew Kruse, Jan 6, 2020.

1. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

What are those camera things called where you can zoom up really close and see the coin and it pops up on the computer? I have a small x40 thing that costs a few bucks but I dont know what the big thing is called.

thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

you thinking microscope?

4. Matthew Kruse

5. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Maybe something like this..

LuckyCoin and Matthew Kruse like this.
  6. Matthew Kruse

Cool thanks. I’ll check it out.

Islander80-83 likes this.
  7. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Before you buy , ask for advice. Most USB cameras under $150 are junk. Also you will need a high resolution TV or you will get pixelation that looks real but isn't. Jim

ripple, LaCointessa and Matthew Kruse like this.
  8. Matthew Kruse

Okay thanks. I probably won’t buy one just yet

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

All the devil you need is a decent 'point and shoot' camera with 'macro' capabilities. No need to spend a bundle. I did it for years before the rabid dog in me bought the Nikon........:)

10. green18

Heck, even some of the new camera phones take better than decent pictures....

Kevin Mader, ripple and UncleScroge like this.
  11. Matthew Kruse

Haha well I have a cheap android... My photo quality isn’t that great. I wouldn’t be surprised if they did though.

ripple likes this.
  12. green18

Matthew, taking decent photogs is no big secret. There are many threads on this forum which will assist you with doing so.

13. igotchange

igotchange Active Member

Plus you can order a magnification lens from wish im pretty sure for like nuthin that fits on your phone.

ripple likes this.
  14. Matthew Kruse

Oh cool

15. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

I use this in conjunction with a test tube stand (from Amazon, $21) to raise it the necessary 18-20" to be able to get pic of a slabbed coin (need to put slab sideways). Works great; spent about $60. 1885CC Obverse.jpg

ripple, Islander80-83 and UncleScroge like this.
  16. Chuck_A

Chuck_A Well-Known Member

That picture lacks the details I look for in a Morgan Dollar. I'm not an expert on photography but would consider a different option.

17. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

It looks to me like the camera focused on the label text; the coin surface is out of focus.

It also looks like this image is very heavily compressed. Like @Chuck_A said, it's hard to make out any details on the coin.

Does your camera provide options for saving images at different quality levels?

18. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

From my experience, I would avoid any camera that is tied to a computer. The trouble is every time Microsoft (in my experience) and probably Apple does an update, the camera will not interface with the revised software. After contacting the camera company, the thing gets jacked up again, but as soon as there is an update, the interface is history.

If you want one of these cameras, you use a computer that never interfaces with the Internet for updates, and use that with the camera exclusively.

I have expressed these problems elsewhere, and have been shouted down for it. I spent $450 on a fancy camera some years ago and got very little use out of it because of this problem. I have a very good computer expert who takes care of my machines for viruses and malware, and he has no luck with getting this device to work.

Don’t waste your money; don’t buy them. I use a regular camera, push the image size to the limit, and if I need a super close-up, I crop it.

Here is an example of what I do. This is a 1797 half dime, which is a very small coin.

1797 16 star LM-3 O.jpg

1797 6 star date only LM3.jpg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2020
  19. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Your experience and mine have been very different, apparently. I've had the same Canon T3i for 6 years now, through two different computers. I always have it tethered, and always use the software on my computer to fine tune the shots. Showing the picture on my computer screen allows me to see exactly what the shot will look like, compared to the tiny little screen on the camera.

JPA1017 obverse.jpg JPA1017 reverse.jpg

20. Islander80-83

Islander80-83 Well-Known Member

Yep, same here. I paid less 4 years ago. It's all we need. If it's good enough for us, it's good enough for them! ;):happy: I put my money where it counts. Not coins, the granite counter tops! :hilarious:

The detail and focus is fine.

DSCN4827-ccfopt.jpg
    DSCN4830-ccfopt.jpg

S20200107_001.jpg

TexasCharley and Tusky Ranger like this.
  21. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

These USB microscopes use very low level resolution cameras ( 1.9 megapixels) (check on the resolution of a cell phone 10 years ago and its camera is better.

Also from https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1106421-REG/carson_mm_840_eflex_75_300x_led_light.ht

"At the core of the device is a 1.9MP CMOS imager, capable of capturing 1600 x 1200 images and 640 x 480 videos and delivering them to your computer via a USB cable. The magnification of the resulting images is dependent on the size of your monitor and scales at 3.6 - 14.3 times the size of your monitor in inches. For example, a 21" monitor will give you 75 - 300x magnification, while a 32" television screen will produce a 114 - 457x magnification"

There is a difference in resolution ( how close 2 points can be to each other and seen as 2 objects rather than 1 blurry one) and magnification ( how big physically it is by their definition). This company is honest enough to say all of this, but most people won't understand the limitations.

The photo below shows the surface of a mint silver dollar @ 100X ( morgan on left, peace on right) from a thread on toning and refraction. On the USB you will not see this as the resolution is too low

comp100.JPG

comp400x-1.JPG
    This is the Morgan surface to show the flow lines and the reflective surfaces at 400X.

USB camera are Ok for whole coin photos, but for varieties their pixelation often shows abnormalities that are not true images and make it difficult to discern true ones.

Not trying to dump on people, as I know they are inexpensive and our brains does a lot of wetware 'photoshop' when we look at it, but for new users that get upset when they say they see it, and no one else can , it is an explanation.

IMO, Jim

ripple and Chuck_A like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted