Coin lost in the mail

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by benhur767, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Beardigger

Beardigger Well-Known Member

Sadly, The president can't remove the Postmaster General. That can only be done by the Board of governors , and as they stand right now, consists of Trump appointees.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. serafino

serafino Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction. Wishful thinking on my part ;)

4. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

Besides collecting coins, I also collect envelopes from registered packages that have been left in my mailbox on the curb without requesting signature or receiving an alert (I ALWAYS sign up for text or email alerts). I have a huge box of these packages since I started accumulating them about 15 years ago. Some of these had several hundred dollars worth of coins. Admittedly in nearly 50 years of collecting, I've only lost two coins in the mail, but I have repeatedly had to chase my mail person down when I get a delivery alert but find it is not in my mailbox and was delivered to the wrong address (without signature).

Penny Luster likes this.
  5. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

The saga, so far, of a coin I ordered on November 6 from Spain, to be delivered by DHL Express. (In this case, some "express"!) So far, it seems to have gone from Spain to Cincinnati, Ohio to Spain to the UK to the wrong facility in New York, where I am. So at least it's finally in the right city after 27 days, according to the tracking!

Thursday, December 03, 2020 Location Time Pieces
    21 Arrived at Sort Facility NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY - USA NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY, NY - USA 9:54 PM
    1 Pieces
    20 Departed Facility in NEW YORK - USA NEW YORK, NY - USA 9:40 PM
    1 Pieces
    19 Processed at NEW YORK - USA NEW YORK, NY - USA 6:13 PM
    1 Pieces
    18 Shipment arrived at incorrect facility. Sent to correct destination NEW YORK, NY - USA 12:47 PM
    1 Pieces
    17 Arrived at Delivery Facility in NEW YORK - USA NEW YORK, NY - USA 9:03 AM
    1 Pieces
    16 Departed Facility in NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY - USA NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY, NY - USA 8:04 AM
    1 Pieces
    15 Processed at NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY - USA NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY, NY - USA 7:06 AM
    1 Pieces
    14 Arrived at Sort Facility NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY - USA NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY, NY - USA 5:43 AM
    1 Pieces
    13 Customs status updated NEW YORK CITY GATEWAY, NY - USA 3:04 AM
    12 Departed Facility in EAST MIDLANDS - UK EAST MIDLANDS - UK 3:41 AM
    1 Pieces
    11 Departed Facility in VITORIA - SPAIN VITORIA - SPAIN 12:14 AM
    1 Pieces
    Wednesday, December 02, 2020 Location Time Pieces
    10 Processed at VITORIA - SPAIN VITORIA - SPAIN 7:33 PM
    1 Pieces
    Tuesday, December 01, 2020 Location Time Pieces
    9 Clearance event VITORIA - SPAIN 11:24 PM
    1 Pieces
    Monday, November 30, 2020 Location Time Pieces
    8 Clearance event VITORIA - SPAIN 11:32 PM
    1 Pieces
    Thursday, November 26, 2020 Location Time Pieces
    7 Clearance event VITORIA - SPAIN 11:15 PM
    1 Pieces
    Wednesday, November 25, 2020 Location Time Pieces
    6 Clearance event VITORIA - SPAIN 11:33 PM
    1 Pieces
    5 Processed at VITORIA - SPAIN VITORIA - SPAIN 10:09 PM
    1 Pieces
    4 Arrived at Sort Facility VITORIA - SPAIN VITORIA - SPAIN 9:45 PM
    1 Pieces
    3 Departed Facility in SEVILLA - SPAIN SEVILLA - SPAIN 8:41 PM
    1 Pieces
    2 Processed at SEVILLA - SPAIN SEVILLA - SPAIN 7:08 PM
    1 Pieces
    1 Shipment picked up SEVILLA - SPAIN 11:45 AM
    1 Pieces
    [Note: no updates from DHL between Nov. 16 and Nov. 25. Dealer informed me that Spanish customs erroneously ordered coin shipped back from Cincinnati to Spain, wrongly asserting that an export permit was required even though papers made clear that coin did not originate in Spain and thus no permit was required.]
    Customs status updated
    Monday, November 16, 2020 at 19:04
    Origin Service Area:
    SEVILLA - ALCALA LA REAL - SPAIN
    1 Piece
    Further Detail:
    A clearance other than standard Customs entry is required for this shipment.
    Next Step:
    Further processing will occur as instructed by the regulatory authority. A DHL representative shall attempt to contact the importer or shipper if further information is required
    Destination Service Area:
    NEW YORK, NY - NEW YORK - USA
    Monday, November 16, 2020 Location Time Piece
    3 Customs status updated CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 19:04
    Monday, November 09, 2020 Location Time Piece
    2 Customs status updated CINCINNATI HUB, OH - USA 05:39
    [I have never received an explanation of why DHL sent the coin from Spain to Cincinnati instead of directly to New York, the destination]
    1 Shipment information received SEVILLA - SPAIN 11:35

Compare this to the average time of 2-3 days for delivery by DHL Express or UPS Express from the UK to my door, from several different dealers.

robinjojo and Roman Collector like this.
  6. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

Now that's a saga.

I hope it shows up. I think it will.

DonnaML likes this.
  7. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

Eek! No horror stories yet from this humble corner of the universe up here in the Great North, Strong and Free. Luckily the only horror I had to experience is being hit with a hefty customs & duties bill at the door. Haha, boy will they knock and ask for a signature if you're owing customs & duties...

8. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

To save a little money, I paid for the lots I won in an auction by check instead of credit card. After two weeks, I contacted the seller and found out they had not received the check. After waiting a couple more days, I bit the bullet paid for the material with a credit card. A week later, I got letter form the company with my check in it. It took the post office a month to deliver a “first class letter” from Florida to Michigan.

One way to cut your risks is to rent a PO Box. When I first got out college I lived in an apartment. I gave my address to a local dealer who promised me that he would send “discreet letters” when he need to to contact me. The very first letter had drawings of coins on the outside, and first glimpse I had of it was in the mail box outside of my apartment door. I may as well have put a sign on the door that read, “Coin collector here; come in and rob me!” From then on, it was a PO Box for all of my numismatic mail.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
Draft saved Draft deleted