Coin Light (or Photo tent) Box

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by GSDykes, Dec 22, 2019.

?

Use a photo box , yes

1. No photo box used

70.0%
  2. what is a photo box?

10.0%
  3. what is a photo box?

10.0%
  4. yes

10.0%
  1. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

After seeing many of the photos here on Coin Talk, I thought I would ask how many folks are using light (aka Photo tent or box) boxes? They can be easy to make. And can produce excellent results, great for gems too. A tripod is recommended. Not well suited for iPhones, but can be adapted.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

A light box provides an even, diffused soft light. They are good for eliminating shadows that occur from a single or a few point light sources. Coins actually need those shadows to delineate their contours.

Most of my reading here on CoinTalk makes me think that folks gravitate towards two or three point sources and keep them close to centered over the coin. I have also had some success using a less vertical angle so the light catches the minutes striations on the surface that create luster. A light box might just wash out these artifacts.

01c 1925-D #02 full 01.gif

That said, a well worn coin is difficult to photograph because it lacks any contrast at all. In that case, just throw a bunch of light on it and shoot away. A light box may be just fine for that. Even here, though, the specular reflections show that there are two light sources at 10:00 (reflected in the hair) and 2:00 (reflected off forehead). The spot reflections heighten the illusion of depth that helps bring the picture to life.

01c 1922-D full 03.JPG

COOPER12, GSDykes, tmeyer and 2 others like this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Can you post a picture of your light box setup?

5. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I have used a black tent to keep other lighting in the room from mixing with the light I'm wanting to use. I have used light boxes but did not get the results I wanted. Maybe with more practice I could have done better.
    My best work has came from using a DSLR with a Sigma 150 macro and a copy stand. I turn off all lighting except the lamps I use to set the white balance and shoot the image.

RonSanderson likes this.
  6. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

ldhair and paddyman98 like this.
  7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I have a light box that looks like @RonSanderson 's image. I have not perfected the use yet. I usually take 2 gooseneck lamps and move them until the coin looks like it does in hand.

RonSanderson likes this.
  8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I used to go to trade shows a lot, not coins. There was always folks demonstrating these. The jewelry images were off the chart pretty.

Seattlite86 and RonSanderson like this.
  9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

I have one, but I don't use it for coins. I prefer to have more direct and precise control over the lighting, and a diffusion tent doesn't give me that. If I want a lot of diffusion, I usually use tissues over the bulbs (cool LEDs, not halogens -- fire bad) and/or a piece of white paper as a fill reflector.

RonSanderson, robec and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. GSDykes

Sanderson's setup is typical, I assume that the white material is cloth, or a very non-reflective plastic. You can buy these off the Internet, easily. Then comes the light control, which the user varies accordingly. (overhead, or 2 at 45 degrees on sides etc). I have made a very simple setup. First some images from it,

test_2x2.jpg

I hurridely shot these, normally I spend more time adjusting the light. Image on left with overhead filtered light, right image filtered from right side. My filters are just layers of acid free paper! Note the bright area on the left of the coin, under "UNITED" which should have been eliminated, but I hurried. Do zoom-in, great detail!

tube_setup.jpg
    The arrow points to where my 6 MP little Nikon sits on the tripod, pointing down into the paper tube, wherein the coin sits at about 10 cm from lens. One light is shown to the right. I can add black felt, inside the tube, for dramatic shots of proof coins! The tripod, is a must for sharp images taken at a macro setting, with 10 second time release. The more paper rolled up to form a tube = more filtration.
    Simple. I will provide more shots, especially showing proofs, mirror surfaces et al.

commercial_tent.jpg

Above a typical nice commercial type - from EBAY.
    Gary in Washington

RonSanderson likes this.
  11. GSDykes

A few more samples.

Kennedy_proof1.jpg

Kennedy_proof2.jpg
    both Kennedy's shot through 2x2.

two_pence_rev.jpg

two_pence2.jpg The 2 pence, is a poor proof, but the image displays that. I used a wider diameter paper tube to keep the black felt in position. All sorts of experiments can be done, especially using different types of light.
    Gary in Washington

RonSanderson likes this.
  12. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

I use three different approaches depending on how I want to show the coin, and depending upon the surfaces whether circulated, proof, toned, and the metal of the subject.

Get this book: Numismatic Photography by Mark Goodman. It takes time and patience but this book will save you a lot of time and give you some new ways to look at light and composition. Also, shoot with white light. I use a 5000k light source available at big box stores, and your friendly Ace Hardware.

The book can be found at Powells Books as well as Amazon Books in new or used. I recommend the 2nd edition. Go and shoot many images boldly. Cheers.

Attached Files:

GSDykes likes this.
  13. GSDykes

Beautiful shots!!

RonSanderson likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted