Coin labels

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Amit Vyas, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Silphium Addict

Silphium Addict Well-Known Member

I could not understand what you meant by “purchase price expressed in a code”. Could you please elaborate?[/QUOTE]

A simple code might be “A = 1” to “J = 0” to replace the numbers in the price with letters. So, a coin that cost $120 would be ABJ. Most price codes are more complex. Anyone have a really good price code system?

Amit Vyas likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Anyone have a really good price code system?[/QUOTE]

If I want a very slight code, just when in an auction hide my possible bids, I'm using Roman numerals, or Arabic if I should be at a Roman coin auction - Arabic numerals are not so difficult either. Roman numerals also help against too precise amounts - your heir or the person whom you sell your coin to isn't interested in the difference between $48 and $53, but 'L' is good enough.

In my computer I have a large Word file containing the extensive descriptions of coins (numbered, starting from 1001 = Greek and 2001 = Roman etcetera), and another with musings about coins or texts I write about them here on CoinTalk or World of Coins. I'm regularly backuping or duplicating it (it's not really extensive, only a few MB). Also, I have a large picture archive.

I have my coins in display trays and just started to put the numbers and the most elementary data on tags (much like Otlichnik's tray), including price, so my heirs have some starting point when the moment comes - that's what my partner asked me to do. Probably this is all futile, but maybe not, and I'm enjoying it.

Amit Vyas likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted