Coin, Iowa

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by longnine009, May 4, 2021.

1. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

There is a town in Iowa named Coin. It would be so cool to have a coin club medal from there: Coin Coin Club Coin Iowa. It would almost be like Major Major Major in Catch-22. Until he got promoted to Major when he was in the Army. Then he was Major Major Major Major.

I'm not sure if they even have a coin club there. Their population was only 193 in 2010.

Inspector43, William F and ddddd like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

it was 176 as of 2019. if you look at a map of it your find yourself wondering where the 176 people could possibly live, looks like maybe 30 houses and that if you count what might be garages and barns. lol

they got a Methodist church and a post office, and a used car dealership. I dont' see any restaurant or bar, or supermarket, or gas station/convenience store, or hotel gotta drive 20 miles to Shenandoah for any of that stuff.

neat name but doesn't look like a good place for a coin club. hahaha

looks like a little town surrounded by farm country on all sides.

longnine009 likes this.
  4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Lauren Benson Coins usta be in Davenport, IA

longnine009 likes this.
  5. William F

William F Well-Known Member

'Bout 2.5 hours from where I live, cute little establishment but I'm not sure it's big enough to be considered a town lol...
    Would definitely be funny if you could pick up coins from Coin :)

6. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yeah, looks like most small towns in Iowa. I doubt they all live in "town" where you are looking. They are fairly broad in what they consider residence. My Dad lives about 3 miles from the edge of a similar sized town in Iowa and they classify him as a "town" resident.

I was surprised. I thought I knew most small Iowa towns, but Coin did not ring a bell.

7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Maybe you could "coin" that phrase. LOL

8. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

I am from Iowa and thought I knew most towns. I've been all around Coin but never in the town.

longnine009 and medoraman like this.
  9. medoraman

Sounds like we have chewed a lot of the same dirt sir. When I was younger I owned about half the town of Medora, Iowa (I owned 18 acres in the middle, not much left of the town. I sold the land to the church that it surrounded before I moved).

longnine009 and Inspector43 like this.
  10. Inspector43

My ancestors settled Salem, Iowa in the 1840's. One of them was planner for Mt. Pleasant. My dad's ancestors settled all up and down the Skunk River and the Green Bay bottoms North of Ft. Madison. Both Grandfathers, Dad and me worked for the CB&Q RR. The "Q" ran basically along Highway 34. All of that territory, the fact that I was active on the railroad and my hobby of collecting arrowheads gave me a deep understanding of Southern Iowa and many of the people that lived there.

medoraman and longnine009 like this.
  11. medoraman

My father's family founded Sandyville, Iowa. My mother's family founded a Quaker church on the outskirts of Ankeny before Des Moines was founded. Either side could have founded Des Moines instead and the family would be well off today, but that is ok. I would rather make my own way in the world anyway. The state fairground was actually my great uncle's farm. There is a "Thornton Farmhouse" where he lived still a part of it, and my mother is buried in the cemetary also part of the ground, (outside the fairgrounds property).

Inspector43 likes this.
  12. Inspector43

McMillan Park in Mt. Pleasant is named after the uncle tat was a founding father of the town. He donated the land for the park. That is where the Old Thrashers Reunion is held each year. Fun to recall history and links.

medoraman likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted