Coin inheritance and I have lots of questions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kelli2723, May 6, 2019.

1. Kelli2723

Kelli2723 New Member

Hello, I am very new to all of this, and I have recently inherited my grandmothers coin collection and I have all kinds of questions like what to look for, how to tell error coins and when to send something in to be graded and where/how to actually do that. I have a lot of US and Canadian coins and paper money. I have been searching the internet and have bought a few books, but I am not really sure how to tell conditions. Here are some Roosevelt Dimes that I have read are pretty valuable depending on conditions, so are these something I should have graded?

Attached Files:

Devyn5150 and kaparthy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome

Start with Photograde.com which will get you started on how to grade.

Then, go buy yourself a Red Book of US coins which will give you more info on the coins you have and some very rough idea of pricing.

Grading is only for extremely rare and valuable coins and coins in the very highest grades.

What you have in the picture are common dimes, worth ten cents each.

Best of luck.

Kelli2723 likes this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    Those all seem to be circulated dimes worth 10 cents.
    Here is a good reference I like to use to help gauge a rough estimate of grade:
    https://www.pcgs.com/PHOTOGRADE/

Kelli2723 and frankjg like this.
  5. fusiafinch

fusiafinch Member

It is fun to educate yourself and I encourage that. But it takes time to learn all this stuff. If you can look for a coin club in your area or find a dealer in your area that you can trust, that would be a great help. Coin shows have a lot of dealers where you can find somebody who you like and gives you the time for education.
    But don't sell in a hurry. Take your time and see what you have first.

Kelli2723 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

7. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

Welcome to CoinTalk, Kelli. Those are just everyday clad dimes, and have no collector value. If they're typical of the types of coins you inherited, then your best course of action might be to simply take them to the bank and cash them in.

Are there any pre-1965 (i.e., silver, not clad) U.S. coins? If you could post more photos to give us a better idea of the scope of the collection, we might be able to give you better advice.

Kelli2723 likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Get a copy of the R. S. Yeoman Red Book and ignore the prices. All of the ones you posted are common circulated clad Dimes, each worth ten cents.

Welcome to CT.

Kelli2723 likes this.
  9. don oswald

don oswald Active Member

Where did you read that they’re valuable?

Evan Saltis likes this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood, Kelli!

What books did you buy? Not all of them are helpful.

Chris

11. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

Hello and welcome to CT @Kelli2723

I'm sorry to hear you lost your grandmother. Condolences to you. My grandmother was the catalyst to my coin collecting also. She gave me lots of silver coins, Indian Head cents, Buffalo nickels and lots more. I've still got everything she ever gave me. And that was 50 years ago.

You've stumbled upon a treasure trove of numismatic knowledge here at CT.

I've got to concur with the advice you've been given so far. The 2020 Red Book is top notch for a beginner through expert collector. It'll be the best $13 you spend on this hobby.

I won't beat a dead horse regarding the pic of the dimes you posted.

GL and post more questions about other items in your grandmothers collection. I look forward to it.

12. Did your inheritance happen to include any documentation? Most serious collectors will note high grades, errors, key dates, gold/silver, etc. in their collection. You posted 7 clad dimes worth face value. Any large gold or silver (dated 1964 or earlier) coins in that inheritance?

13. Devyn5150

Devyn5150 Well-Known Member

I think you’ve made a first great step in the right direction by joining this community. I also think that before you get overwhelmed with the everything that coin collecting is, you should define in yourself what type of coiner you’ll be. For example: are you looking to liquidate the inheritance or keep it and add to it? If you become a collector, what do you want to collect? Canadian? American? Silver? Etcetera...

Just an FYI, I’m fairly new to CT as well as the sport in general, I would advise to research your coins before asking the question here. There are longtime members who have seen the post... 1982 Lincoln copper small date... so many times that it isn’t a surprise to hear them sigh. Even in my short time here, I’ve seen a half dozen of the sort including mine own, lol.

I wish you good fortune in your collection and a hearty welcome to the addictively crazy world of coining.

Kelli2723 likes this.
  14. Kelli2723

Kelli2723 New Member

Thank you all very much for you input! I have the 2019 Red Book that I have found very helpful and mainly Google lol. I’m not really looking to sell at the moment I don’t think, unless I find something worth “Big Money” lol or an offer I can’t refuse! I haven’t sorted through everything yet, I am still working on that. I have found a few Pennies from the 1920s, Dimes 1946 and up, lots of quarters as early as 1959. I have nickels but haven’t sorted yet, I have half dollars and many other. I appreciate all the links and advice on where to start. I’ll make sure not to post just anything from now. I’ll only share the things I can’t find information on. I did come across these cool dimes from the 40s 50s and 60s that have rainbow tone and some are blue, and some paper money from 1899 and 1923, you probably see these all the time, but I thought they were cool so I thought I would share them.These Eisenhower, Peace and Morgan Silver Dollars we’re wrapped up separately from everything else but I haven’t found anything special about them yet. I do have a lot of Canadian but the oldest was from 1954.

Attached Files:

15. WildWest

WildWest Obsessive Compulsive Disarry

Welcome and have fun sorting through them all!

Kelli2723 likes this.
  16. frankjg

frankjg Well-Known Member

That is a nice start to a collection!

Kelli2723 likes this.
  17. don oswald

don oswald Active Member

I’ll pay you the price written on the case of your Morgan

Kelli2723 likes this.
  18. Collecting Nut

Let's see the reverse of the 1881 and the 1879 Morgan Dollars. Also please post the reverse of that very nice $2.00 bill.

Dimes, Quarters, and Halves dates 1964 and below contain silver so they will be worth a premium for the silver content. All Morgan and Peace Dollars are silver. Use the Red Book to determine other dates and issues for silver content and low mintages.

Kelli2723 likes this.
  19. Collecting Nut

@Kelli2723 You have a nice start to a collection. Don't be fast to sell regardless of the price you can get. Remember how you came into possession of them. Time is not an issue. :)

And please post any coins you have doubts or questions about.

Kelli2723 likes this.
  20. Kelli2723

Kelli2723 New Member

Thanks but I think I’ll hang on to it for that.

21. Kelli2723

Kelli2723 New Member

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted