Coin Identifcation Software that is currently available

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by cplradar, Oct 20, 2021.

1. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

That site is for people unfamiliar with the coinage that have. It will, when better established, identify which series, die pairs used etc. Also when certain parts of a coin surface are worn away, it will attempt to id it with AI from details that are visible. They admit it is an ongoing process and is not fully functional yet.
    Either way, from the subject matter of your previous posts, it will not and never will identify a particular coin as being owned by an individual. Its primary function is to id a subject and to put a ballpark value to it.

4. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

I dunno... I tried several coins and a note and it wasn't close. Not even once

Mr.Q and expat like this.
  5. JP@

JP@ Well-Known Member

Google Lens works fairly well for basic coin id but won't distinguish between varients. It's built into later phones, otherwise there is an app.

6. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

They admit it is not fully functional as I answered to the OP, but the OP is looking for anything to justify his personal crusade

Evan Saltis likes this.
  7. mikenoodle

I use an app called coin-o-scope. It works with varying degrees of success

serafino likes this.
  8. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Do what pleases you but remember, we are only hear to offer experience, knowledge, and opinion. Good luck.

9. john65999

john65999 Well-Known Member

took a pic of one of my kitties with lens, it said, bombay, then all about those types of cats, i was amazed..lol

10. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

That site is just a demonstration of what the software is capable of on a rudimentary level.... very rudimentary. You don't understand how Artificial Intelligence works, but it LEARNS and adjusts its programming with continual input, and it is trained. So the AI that defeated the go champion had to learn through hundreds of games played and studying hundreds or thousands of games previously played.

AI has ZERO problem picking out individual coins, just as easily as it sends you speeding tickets and can identify you as you drive by, or how Alexa understand your words, or how Xrays and Mammograms are read for cancer screening than doctors etc etc. I don't know if you are being obsedent intentionally or you just fail to understand how the word today works.

Identifying individual coins is a piece of cake for Artificial Intelligence software and every undergraduate on the globe is busy and beavers doing just this. The precision and accuracy is just a matter of software usage and time.

Every time you go to that website and take pictures of coins and feed it to it, it learns more and has more examples. It is a simple matter to identify minute differences in the coins, things that you can't see. The museum is already fingerprinting as much as its collection as possible because it allows us to make a fairly certain positive ID stolen works.

And BTW - your camera lens captures much more data than an image. An ap on the phone can fingerprint the coin in UV and IR as well as the entire visible spectrum AND it can use three lenses at once.... The possibility of truly securing you coins in the futures, technically is easy. We can do it know. The rest is social resistance to do it. That comes down to accessing your individual priorities and how they align with making real security, and our ethics.

11. mikenoodle

Just curious... wouldn't it behoove the developers to have fed the AI enough at the point of publishing to get at least basic results correct? Why would we have to develop the app for them? Isn't that their job?

expat likes this.
  12. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Yeah they are being a bit manipulative. If the software is a free software AI with its database intact, that might have value to the community at large. If they are just storing images and planning to take the whole thing private later, that is really manipulative. Depending on the AI engine, it can take quite a few images to start getting reasonable results. It is not instantaneous. What does PCGS's sheild program do? Aneren't they fingerprinting submitions?

13. cplradar

cplradar Talmud Chuchum

Draft saved Draft deleted