Coin ID

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Makanudo, Apr 30, 2016.

1. Makanudo

Makanudo Well-Known Member

I would appreciate your help on this coin.
    Thanks!
    SAM_2112.JPG SAM_2113.JPG SAM_2114.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Usually better to take photos at 90 degrees to the coin. This appears to be an Indian Temple Token.

4. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

I agree. It does not appear to be a coin but rather a token depicting the Hindu God Ganesh (right) and Lakshmi (goddess of Wealth on the left).

5. Makanudo

Sorry for the photos. These are hopefully better:
    SAM_2117.JPG SAM_2118.JPG

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Much better than photos I take. Coins will normally have three things 1) a date 2) a denomination and 3) a country. Metal rounds with designs only are normally some sort of token. In India, Temple Tokens are fairly common.

7. Makanudo

Thanks!

I know a lot about money, theory wise, and I was in doubt about this being monetary object. I just couldnt read what was written on it. I figured it was either Thai or Indian.

Thank you for the help as well as patience.

8. 1934 Wreath Crown

The text is in Sanskrit (Ancient Indian language). It says 'Om' and 'Shri' both words used in Hindu prayers. So definitely a temple token of sorts.

9. Makanudo

Thanks 1934WreathCrown!
    Its a token, OK. It has 666 written at the bottom. Does that number have a significance in Hindu religion or their mithology?

10. 1934 Wreath Crown

To be honest, I think that unlike Christianity, where it is considered the Devil's number, in South East Asia, the Far East and some parts of the Middle East , 666 or the swastika and other symbols were considered lucky or magical or signs of eternity. They were used by other religions/political parties/societies for different purposes but the Hindus use even the swastika (upright not slanted as the Nazi symbol) during their prayers and it is a holy symbol for them.

Makanudo likes this.
  11. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

The number looks like "999" which might mean the silver fineness.

:)

12. 1934 Wreath Crown

Indian silver products have only started assay stamping very recently. In the past they produced some very nice items, especially craftsmen from the Kutch area, but there were no stamps to indicate purity. They now use sterling as the standard so a .999 fineness seems extremely unusual.:)

13. 1934 Wreath Crown

Willie is right it does look more like 999 under the lotus flower. If you can take a closeup of just the numbers, I'll take another look as they might be Sanskrit numerals.

Take a look at this:
    http://veda.wikidot.com/sanskrit-numbers

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  14. Makanudo

Its size is 3inches in diameter and 0.15in height. It weighs 9.86 grams and has this patina that I didnt want to clean.
    I think it has too much of a shine and too litle patina for it to be silver.
    Here are better close ups

SAM_2126.JPG SAM_2127.JPG SAM_2128.JPG SAM_2129.JPG

15. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

Looks like silver to me. And how did someone see 666?

Makanudo likes this.
  16. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

It is not coin. It is commemorative jetton.

Makanudo likes this.
  17. Makanudo

18. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

What's a Jetton? I've seen this term before, I'm just not familiar with it since I collect mainly 20th century coins and have seen a lot of jettons prior to that

19. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Probably, it's Indian temple token (jetton).

20. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

The 999 is for fineness and the lettering in the back is in Hindi/Devanagari:

ॐ श्री (Om Sri)

Most likely a 20th century token that was used for religious purposes...

21. Makanudo

Draft saved Draft deleted