Coin hobby language that turns you off?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Owle, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Copper56

Copper56 Active Member

Cherry picking from dealers is what we go to shows to do. It makes no difference to me what someone pays for an item. If you paid $20 dollars and are offering it to me for $1000 my only concern is that is it worth 1K or more to me. Everyone wants to "steal" a coin to add to his collection or inventory, that's just nature. Also, everyone has a different idea of what it takes to steal something. A hard to find coin bought 20% back of bid is a steal to most collectors. Yet, there are times I have bought a seriously hard variety from a dealer for bid, or even ask or more, and I felt that I truly "ripped" the coin.

If you are concerned about getting "ripped off" when offering coins to a dealer, then you should educate yourself before offering them. But make no mistake, dealers are not in the business to swap money. They are there to make a living. Don't expect to get all a coin is worth when selling it. If it bothers you so much then buy a table and become a dealer. It may open your eyes.

Now, for the dark side. I had gone into a shop and was looking at some coins when a lady came in with some large cents to sell. She told the dealer that her dad had always collected them and, although he had tried to get her interested in them it was just to hard to understand. She thought some of them were rare and worth a lot of money and would he guide her as to those better coins. The dealer looked them over and told her that her dad must have already sold the good ones because none of these were of any consequence. He paid her an average of less than $10 each for them, and she was on her way somewhat disappointed. After she had walked out the dealer almost did back-flips with excitement. Not being able to hold his excitement any longer, and not even knowing me, he held up a 1793 chain cent that was likely in true VF condition and told me that is how he is "able to keep a young, hot wife"!

I pushed the coins I was about to buy back to him and walked out.. never to return.
    (I can also give examples where I observed dealers paying more than the uninformed seller was asking.)

Don't get hung up on words. You must realize that we were all raised different and we react differently to things.. and, that we are all here together and should try to understand that when we enter someones domain that we are not familiar with that we should try to learn if we want to participate. You will never be happy if you expect everyone else to conform to only the language you are comfortable with.

There are plenty of dealers more than willing to help you, to educate you, if you are willing to learn.

joecoincollect, lucyray and longshot like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Brett_in_Sacto

Brett_in_Sacto Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

lucyray, mac266 and Santinidollar like this.
  4. Owle

Owle Junior Member

Ok, so the dealer was blatantly dishonest and larcenous by any measure. Some poor dude gets caught stealing a calculator in Texas and gets sentenced to 14 years in jail. http://articles.latimes.com/2004/may/04/nation/na-scotus4 If proportionality were to be used in justice, that dealer should get a firing squad--taking a grieving daughter's collection from the father, and giving essentially nothing for it. The only hope for justice there would be if she heard out about it and reported the violation to an oversight agency, if the guy was a member of PNG or other organization with oversight or had any experience in appraisal.

joecoincollect likes this.
  5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Interesting article. The Texas solicitor who asked to keep the guy's conviction intact is now no other than US Senator Ted Cruz, who is running for president.

6. iontyre

iontyre Active Member

Coin hobby language that turns me off? Any TPG using 'Details' on a slab, as if the coin is now trash.

joecoincollect and rooman9 like this.
  7. Brett_in_Sacto

I'm sure the "Details" grade offends those that have issues with paying attention to details.

8. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I agree, I would have walked also

lucyray, Santinidollar and longshot like this.
  9. Brett_in_Sacto

Theft is a crime and it's defined. Being duped by believing someone after you walked into their store is not a crime. It's immoral, it's downright disgusting, but not illegal.

Pointing out some random decade old news story is kinda irrelevant. The guy had a record, the guy stole something. To claim he's innocent is a lie. He is guilty of the crime. The punishment is irrelevant and decided by the courts.

If you don't do the research on what you have and trust the first person you see, well.... You're a patsy. Welcome to the real world. This happens in all types of business every day. Car dealers are notorious for it, why wouldn't coin dealers be? They make their living on the "buy low / sell high" principle. It's in their best interest to lowball you.

You're entitled to be stupid and ignorant, none of us will stop you. Some might even have a charitable donation to your plight. The notion that you're entitled to be protected from your own stupidity and ignorance - is ignorant in itself. There are many flawed laws that attempt to do this, but in the end - you're responsible for yourself in this world.

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Haha. It is funny how people get offended at just about anything these days. It is a descriptor; it is an adjective. Some people get so worked up over labels! Get over it.

I'd put a winky face here, but I'm serious.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

This is a statement of fact. Either it is genuine, or it is fake. Why would this turn you off?

mac266 and bear32211 like this.
  12. Owle

Owle Junior Member

There are too many assumptions in your remarks to rebut; the assumption that people are fully informed, can and did do the research before buying or selling, etc.. I have taken care of and known many people that are impaired, on medications, and need a lot of help when making decisions. So don't give me this crap about everyone being fully responsible for their good or bad decisions! A large percentage of the population are on medications, do not have the intelligence or experience to make accurate assessment as to value, fairness and reasonable buying and selling terms. Add to this dozens and dozens of tricks to deceive, misrepresent, take other people's hard earned assets and wealth or that of their trusted family members. Fraud nullifies all contracts. (https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/91/426/) So if someone obtains other people's possessions through the tools of deceit, the law does not protect them. Plus I know many dealers who are too lazy to value what they buy and when they go to sell do not know how to price the items thus losing money. For those who are in the business of buying and selling properly as expert there is no excuse. There are plenty of people around the thieving dealers who know what they are doing, and they are despised for their practices.

Another example, Littleton coin, a company known for lowball offers decided they could not "steal" this collection without possible negative consequences: https://www.littletoncoin.com/webap...-Held-by-One-Family-for-Four-Generations.html

So instead they used the transaction for a major PR campaign.

Are there consequences for ripping people off? You bet! Bad karma manifesting as contempt for them, a bad conscience, treachery coming back to them, poor health, alcoholism, escapism to deal with it, etc.. As for someone who is so dumb to think they can steal an item under $100 they should be allowed to work off their law breaking not sent to prison.

joecoincollect likes this.
  13. Brett_in_Sacto

I will give you that crap, it's called personal responsibility and self-sufficiency. Something that judging by your remarks is dying out faster every year, being replaced with false entitlement and public nannies.

Claiming a large portion of the population is unable to handle themselves ought to scare the living daylights out of you and make you question how we got here. Lack of teaching self-sufficiency and personal responsibility - that's how.

If you so choose to spend your life as a martyr fighting for every last person that can't - or worse - won't take care of themselves, I commend you. I wish you luck, but it will be in futility. I'm sure they will erect a glorious statue in your name, which will also bring forth no change - but it will make everyone feel good for a moment.

I never said it was right or just - but it happens all day - every day - in all corners of the world. This is reality.

The better bet is to teach people while they are young to be self-sufficient and take personal responsibility. This is how you solve the root problem so it occurs less and less. Education and getting people to look out for themselves. Sometimes these lessons in life are hard learned.

And with that, I say good day to you sir...

okbustchaser, DEA, baseball21 and 5 others like this.
  14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

So what is the excuse when one isn't (perhaps?) on medications, impaired, incompetent, etc and has shown himself fully capable yet insists on always blaming others for his poor choices and/mistakes? I'm sorry, but I have a hard time understanding how one who often references the bible could also believe such behavior is in any way righteous.

"Hobby language" (or any language for that matter) is a turn off when it is used in an attempt to absolve one's self from even a modicum of personal responsibility. When those genuinely new to this hobby trust the wrong individual and are taken advantage of, it's only reasonable that we view that as a problem, but when one who has repeatedly shown himself to be knowledgeable and have a for-profit involvement in this hobby plays the game and loses, it's an entirely different story. The simple reality is that it's not always the other guy's fault, and there comes a time when the holier-than-thou excuses and blame games must rightfully and mercifully end.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/cleaned-coins-how-much-of-a-loss.268425/

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/one-way-coin-dealers.256293/

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/ngc-guarantee-case.241672/

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/returning-problem-coins.213658/

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/coin-traps.204463/

To again quote a very wise gentleman....

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  15. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

It's real, now that's a turn on. I've had a few friends who wanted to get into collecting and bought coins through eBay when they thought the price was really good. They paid, got the coin, took it to a nearby coin shop only to find it to be fake. They were too embarrassed to contact the seller, thus got out of collecting. Sad but it is a turn off when they are your friends and it happens to them.

Brett_in_Sacto likes this.
  16. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

YAWWWWWWWWWN!

IS THIS THREAD DONE YET?

Cascade likes this.
  17. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, More stories please.:D

18. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

A pawn shop fairly close to me (and this was a number of years ago) had someone stop in and ask if they bought "Proof Sets". They informed her that they were acquainted with them but that they weren't worth very much money. Long, long story short........

......they ended up buying every one she had. Got them for very reasonable prices too. The proof sets were a run from 1860-1915., and there were some multiples.

That one ended up in court yet I can't recall what happened.

19. Brett_in_Sacto

Ignorance was unearthed and lawyers were paid. :banghead:

Better to use preventative measures - education and due diligence.

20. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

Check out Peter's announcement thread at the top of the forums.

21. nvrdwn88

nvrdwn88 Member

Draft saved Draft deleted