Coin hobby language that turns you off?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Owle, Feb 6, 2016.

1. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

"Coin hobby language that turns you off?"

Language doesn't typically offend me, usually its someone's attitude and the way they present themselves that turns me off.

lucyray, BadThad, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

"It's a fake" :vomit:

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Someone on CT said I was "God" or thought I was HE so I changed my my intro to get back at him. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

5. Insider

Yeah, I :oldman: hate that and you probably know more about grading too.:kiss:

6. Insider

That's cold.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

That was me and I'm sure you understand why I said it. That was in the past. Lets leave it there.

Insider likes this.
  8. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Mine just changed itself to well-known member after a bit. I am "senior" in a lot of ways but being a CT member ain't one of them.:woot:

Hommer likes this.
  9. Insider

I think it was FUNNY! No harm done.

10. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

I changed my discription when every coin I posted a photo of, got only negative comments. Funny how only the completely negative posters are the ones who post 90% of the feedback, but don't post photos of their own coin of that type. You can post a photo in the new acquisitions thread and get many likes from true collectors but don't ever start a thread on something you're proud of unless you're ready to hear from the hecklers in the peanut gallery.

mac266 and coinzip like this.
  11. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

So 90% of those that posted did not like your coin? There must be a reason for that.

Insider likes this.
  12. Insider

Good point; however, I like to have folks pick out any problems they see/don't like about a coin I show them. If their points are well made and true - I benefit. When they are mum...I benefit.

Let me just say, I can find a problem with 99.9% of any coins I examine. Fortunately, I have learned to be realistic about what I see and don't call every coin with a few hairlines or a tiny bit of lost luster harshly cleaned or AU!

13. Hommer

Hommer Curator of Semi Precious Coinage

Not just mine. I did an experiment and posted coins on other boards just to get feedback. Totally opposite comments. I even went as far as posting photos of other collectors coins with there permission, just to see what the feedback would be. Most all of the negative was from posters that knew nothing about the series, didn't have one of their own in any grade, and were mostly young collectors.

14. Insider

I'm cutting your statement short to add a PERIOD.

As I wrote before, my favorite posts begin with something like this: "I know nothing..." Then they prove they were correct.:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

15. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

If I may return to the OP's sentiment, I agree that this hobby can be ohh, umm, err, anything but a victimless thing. Perhaps our difficulty in keeping numismatics numerically healthy springs partially from an over-reliance on a zero sum game mentality. "In order for me to win, you have to lose." I gave that up, or tried to (some days better than others), when lying in a hospital bed supposedly dying of a cerebral hemorrhage in early summer of 2009. I redirected my numismatic life since then into serving the hobby and evangelizing it to new collectors. I got recognized by ANA Prez Walt Ostromecki for it as a Numismatic Point of Light.

I HAVE TO FIGHT with everything I have this "dog eat dog" mindset. It's an OBLIGATION I feel I have. I strongly disagree with the upthread uber-competitive paradigm. It frankly sickens me. :vomit: See? :vomit::vomit: Again. Does not your conscience bother you when you victimize a noob rather than educate them? Remember, our ANA has a mission, and it's NOT to be a dealer advocacy group or trade association. It's to EDUCATE!!!

16. Insider

I wrote this before: Something like, "the place would be better with more of you.":happy:

17. V. Kurt Bellman

Thank you, but I really don't do what I do for the accolades (although it's nice to know you've been noticed), but rather as a self-directed obligation. Now that our dear friend Myrna Lighterman has shuffled off the mortal coil, you'll PROBABLY find me at Dallas and Anaheim spending more time at the Kids Zone, subject to any other summonings from Rhonda Scurek and Robert Kelly.

18. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

I ran into two other descriptions that I don't care for. One is "Wow" when selling is involved, the other is "cool" for why it was purchased. Neither adds any value or any information about the item.

lucyray likes this.
  19. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

But what if it's a wow list vam? :hilarious:

20. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Wow! Brilliant circulated. What a cleaning job! Wow! PQ+++++++++

21. V. Kurt Bellman

Really? That bothers you? I have come to expect that. I rely on what I see, not some eBay title line. If I can't see well enough, I pass on by, even if it's a piece I have been looking for all year. To me, it's like any Internet ad on whatever page. I ignore them all, every time, even the ones here on CT. Maybe especially these.

The tech podcasts are all reporting that the value (and price) of Internet ads keeps falling, because they don't work. I'm out to make sure they don't work. It's why I use iOS instead of Android - I can block ads and turn on Private browsing mode. I don't willingly give up data on me anywhere I can stop it. And for me, that means NO Android, NO Facebook, NO Google, to the extent I can avoid them.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted