Coin hobby language that turns you off?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Owle, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Owle

Owle Junior Member

I approach the coin hobby from a scientific/rational perspective. I don't like the idea of collectors or dealers pulling the wool over on others. I've heard dealers say they "hit a home run" when the transaction was totally self-centered. In baseball, a hitter hits a homerun the team and fans go wild! So inappropriate language when someone makes a lot of money with a cherry pick, no? Can't we have more win-win transactions in this hobby? Or you see Morgan "Scarface" cherrypicked where the buyer or dealer makes a fortune. How did he buy it?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

There are very few individual sports. I guess they could say they "got a hole in one!" With baseball being our national pastime, that saying just makes more sense. I have scored some "hole in ones" cherrypicking 1911-D $2 1/2 Indians that were listed as 1911. Not my fault the seller missed it, along with other buyers. edited: political

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
    Markus1959 likes this.
  4. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Oh my God - when do young people actually get a tough skin? So 310 million people have to curb their language because somebody can't handle it?? Oh well - hope I ain't gonna be put on another weeks "vacation" -

5. Owle

Owle Junior Member

A dealer once told me about how he and his buddies would share their "rips". Another one for you.

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

I have asked before what a Junior member on CT was. I got no response...so if you are a young numismatist, you'll need to understand that the world is a nasty place. That does not mean you need to join in. It means "Buyer Beware," "Watch Your Back," "Don't Trust But Verify." Those who learn/know more and work harder than others usually end up on top. Whiners, bleeding-hearts, quitters, and uninformed people are great to have around. They are the sheep for the wolves. If you wish to feel sorry for others, and treat everyone by the "golden rule" that's very commendable and your world should be a better place for it.

As for me, I'll pick your eyes out and rip you off the minute you are not expecting it. That's not actually true but that's the way it is for many in this business. Get it? Get over it!

7. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'm really not sure what you are saying turns you off?

If I cherrypick something, I'm going to brag about it.

If I buy something at a great price because I have superior knowledge, I am going to brag about it.

If I have a great collection, I am going to brag about it.

If I think my collection is superior in some way, I am going to brag about it.

If I take great photographs, I am going to brag about it.

I am not sorry at all if that offends you.

There should be honesty, and integrity, and ethics, as with all things. But I'm not sure that is what you are talking about.

There is science, and reason, and history, and facts associated with numismatics. No one will deny that. That is what makes it an academic and intellectually stimulating field of study (for some).

But there is also passion, and excitement, and spirit - that is what makes a hobby.

There is also business, and money, and investment, and profit. If these things offend you, you might be in the wrong place.

8. Owle

Owle Junior Member

The 7 deadly sins; greed, sloth, pride (the worst), lechery, gluttony, envy, anger; by the way every other belief system has similar lists, usually longer. Mature people don't need to gloat, brag, feel superior, rip-off or keep people in the dark. Any coherent social group maintains its strength through unity and common ideals and purposes. A house divided against itself will fall.

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

While I agree with your list of the vices, I'm still not sure how they apply to numismatics, or what you are saying turns you off.

10. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

I'm sorry, this is almost too good to pass up. YOUR example for language that turns you off is terms like "home run." Enter exhibit A (from earlier today):
    Untitled.png

beef1020 likes this.
  11. Insider

:rolleyes:

Very nice thoughts. Unfortunately, I don't claim to be mature...more like a Peter Pan so I think you should start a new topic someplace else called: PREACHER'S CORNER. :yack::yack::yack::yack::yack::yack:

Open to righteous discussion of dem thevin, crooked weasels, rakes, and rascals. :bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears::bigtears:

12. Owle

Owle Junior Member

"I'm sorry, this is almost too good to pass up. YOUR example for language that turns you off is terms like "home run." Enter exhibit A (from earlier today)"

No one would lose on that. Home run as in getting the wanted grade, though unlikely, would be advantageous. Everyone is happy. A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds....

13. Insider

SO WHAT'S A JUNIOR MEMBER ALREADY????

14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

IIRC, a guy without a large number of posts.... kind of like you were for the first 23 minutes of your membership. ;)

Once one hits a certain number it automatically changes to "well known member" (or something like that).

Cascade, Evan8 and Insider like this.
  15. Insider

Thanks! I probably got my total amount of experience - EVERYTHING I KNOW - out in the first three minutes. I'm just hanging around now throwing tomatoes:angelic:.

micbraun likes this.
  16. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Mature people also learn from their mistakes and/or do not desperately blame others for their own unforced poor choices/decisions. Actually, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to put this into the "pride (the worst)" category, would it?

17. Insider

I still think all of this should be in "Preachers Corner " on another web page far, far away.:facepalm:

18. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

This county's financial and commerce system is built upon capitalism. Capitalism has room for greed and lechery. We sometimes try to disguise it as free enterprise. This is why a young capitalist from a pharmaceutical company called our government officials imbeciles recently. Free enterprise allows the seller to sell at any price he chooses. It is normally not illegal to do so. It is also why some countries don't like our way of life. Only the belief in a higher power suggests that honesty, fairness and compassion are required of you. But church and state try and keep separate doctrines in our country to allow for mutual co-existence. Neither supports nor rejects the other. Learn to live with that fact.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  19. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

It says junior member but he has over 2100 posts... or am i not understanding...

20. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

If you take offense to these phrases, then you should not be on the internet.

Markus1959 likes this.
  21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Well, I just lost a few minutes of life reading this thread :hungover:

hoth2, Insider and Evan8 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted