Coin history articles . . .

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by russell1256, Feb 26, 2024.

1. russell1256

russell1256 Well-Known Member

I think one of the reasons I love to collect is I also love U.S. history. I enjoy to read about the history of U.S. coins. Lots of coin shows have a pile of free editions of old coin magazines. Just finished reading a Coin World article about how the Early Commemorative program was shutdown. Does anyone have any links to coin history articles?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Joel Turner

Joel Turner Active Member Supporter

Coin World did a series (by decade) on coins, the US Mint, and how they were related. This was some years ago, I still have the paper copies. I know Coin Age has also done several series over the years. That said, I don't know where links or electronic versions of these articles are. Possibly JSTOR? If anyone knows I would be interested also...

4. Dima

Dima Member

I highly recommend 'A Guide Book of United States Commemorative Coins' by Q. David Bowers. Check if your local library has a copy; definitely well worth the read.

In terms of history, 'A Guide Book of The United States Mint' from the same series is excellent! Explores the physical mint locations, the politics of the day, the expansion/construction/renovations, etc.

upload_2024-2-26_20-19-31.png

upload_2024-2-26_20-19-54.png

I know this is a bit different than what you'd asked (articles vs. books), however, given how great these are, I couldn't pass up an opportunity to recommend them.

David Betts and Spark1951 like this.
  5. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

Try the Newman Numismatic Portal (https://nnp.wustl.edu/).

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You can find a whole lot about almost anything here - https://archive.org/web/

It's better known as the Wayback Machine - 866 billion web pages saved ! Simply put it's an internet archive.

Draft saved Draft deleted