Coin has raised rim both sides. Indented Lincoln profile on reverse. Bldg on obverse.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Ditto, Apr 30, 2017.

?

Coin has raised rim on both sides. Indented Lincoln profile back. Bldg on front/date side.

Poll closed Jun 18, 2017.
  1. Error coin ?

66.7%
  2. Value of coin?

100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ditto

Ditto Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ditto

Ditto Member

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

It looks like it has been spooned.........PMD

Your poll serves no purpose!

Chris

Sheila Ruley and James0813 like this.
  5. Ditto

Ditto Member

Not silver coin, too uniform rimming, not likely to be spooned. After further research most likely a commercial dryer coin. Lincoln profile on reverse not uncommon despite being prominent.

6. cpm9ball

I didn't suggest that it was silver. I've seen a uniform rim on hundreds of spooned coins. Yes it could be a dryer coin, but you only showed an image of the reverse. FYI - Lincoln is on the obverse.

Chris

7. Ditto

Ditto Member

1998D cent was confirmed as dryer coin. No value despite prominent indented profile of Lincoln on reverse and memorial bldg on obverse as previously stated. Common as dies wear at mint. Oh well.

8. cpm9ball

Never mind! I placed my vote for both items on your poll since none of it is worth anything.

Chris

9. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

What does the rim look like. Just because the sides protrude out doesn't mean that it's always a dryer. 1993p2.jpg 1993p3.jpg Look familiarIt would be nice to have a photo of the edge. USMC60

10. Ditto

Ditto Member

Here it is.
    Cent is twice as thick at rim as normal cent.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  11. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Here's a photo of the RIM of the one I'm showing there is a big difference. 1993p4.jpg
    This RIM is also twice as big, but this one is extremely flat.
    The edges are so sharp you could actually cut yourself on them And yours tend to show nothing but the zinc Filling.:eek::blackalien:

Last edited: May 2, 2017
  12. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

13. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Sir most dryer coins that I have come across has a tendency to have the rim more rounded off, due to the tumbling the coin around in the steel tub. The same for a washing machine coin.
    Though this may be an old term, most people know it as a steamroller. I personally call this one a steamroller rim. Which separates it from the dryer coins. USMC60

14. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Sir there is a simple test you can do yourself. I decided to do the test myself after finding this particular cent. Take a cent and throw it in the dryer for a month and this is what I came out with. You can do the same test yourself. USMC60 1989-4.jpg

15. Ditto

Ditto Member

This coin is not an error coin and has no value? Correct?

16. Ditto

Ditto Member

If a dryer coin why are there no smooth rolled edges. Inside of rim edge sharp and clean. If dryer coin will it weigh the same as cent from same year.

17. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

None of the coins are actually mint error and only worth what someone is willing to pay you for them. Like I said earlier the best way to find out what a dryer will due to a coin is put one in there for a month.

And as far as the weight nothing was added or taken off so the weight remains the same.USMC60

18. cpm9ball

So, maybe it is a spooned dryer coin. I guess there should be a first time for everything. In any case, it is not an error coin as defined by the "Marquis of Queensbury Error Collecting Rules". It's just PMD!

Chris

19. usmc60

usmc60 SEMPER FI

Or maybe it's just an over adjusted rim machine:eek::blackalien:

20. Ditto

Ditto Member

I asked about weight because it weighs less than 1998 cent. I think about 2 grams. Oh well.

Draft saved Draft deleted