Coin Grading

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Lincoln Cents, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Lincoln Cents

Lincoln Cents Cents not pennies

I know that it is hard to grade from a photo, but what do you think that this quarter grades?

Qrtr_&_Nickel 006.jpg Qrtr_&_Nickel 024.jpg Qrtr_&_Nickel 022.jpg

Qrtr_&_Nickel 020.jpg Qrtr_&_Nickel 026.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lincoln Cents

And What about this nickel? In hand, it appears to have proof-like qualities except for strike.
    Qrtr_&_Nickel 027.jpg Qrtr_&_Nickel 004.jpg Qrtr_&_Nickel 019.jpg Qrtr_&_Nickel 028.jpg

4. Lincoln Cents

BTW, the nickel has a small die clash.

5. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

63 on both.

6. texmech

texmech Wanna be coin collector

Doug, what keeps you from going higher on the Washington?

7. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

I'd say 63 on both as well.
    The Washington has a pretty good hit on the cheekbone and looks like a ding on the rim at 3 oclock..

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Well, you have to remember this is a quarter, not a dollar. So the smaller size coins are graded more severely for similar contact marks. This one has 3 good size hits on the forehead with a small scratch right above that. Then in the hair there is rash of small hits below the E; a rather large field hit/scrape below the Y; 2 or 3 good hits on the neck; 2 more on the cheek; 2 more on the nose; small one in the eyebrow; and a nast rim ding at 3 o'clock. Add to that that the coin was struck with very worn out dies so that pretty much the entire field is rough and pebble like and to my way of thinking that adds up to a 63.

9. rev1774

rev1774 Well-Known Member

The very worn out die, is that what is causing such a mushy look to the quarter generally?

10. Lincoln Cents

Yes, I think it is. In case you were wondering, I got the quarter for melt and the nickel for free.

Draft saved Draft deleted