Coin grading fee at a dealer.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Detecto92, Mar 11, 2017.

1. Detecto92

Detecto92 Well-Known Member

Do most legitimate coin dealers who are also a PCGS approved dealer charge the cost of grading to get a coin graded (plus postage of course), or do most of them take the grading charge and tack on more money for the service?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I've never heard of a dealer that added a charge. Dealers like Ian at GC government a discount, as does Harry Laibstain in VA. Heritage up charges to send your coin to CAC. Almost double.

4. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Last time I had a dealer send one in, it cost way too much. He sent it in on the wrong tier, so it cost way too much, and I'm sure he added a bit to the total.

5. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Most dealers will charge you to do it especially if you're some random customer. There are exceptions and if you're a regular you may get cost pricing but a lot don't want to spend the time and effort to not make any money.

6. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Typical is that you pay all expenses - grading fees plus shipping both ways. And then the dealer also charges you an additional fee for his time and trouble. How much additional can vary widely.

Personally, I've never heard of a dealer that would submit them for you for free - meaning no additional charge for his time and trouble. But that doesn't mean there aren't some out there.

Kentucky and Santinidollar like this.
  7. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

There are several members here on CT who have done that before. Myself included. And in fact some of us share the shipping charges with them.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Jdiablo30, -jeffB and Santinidollar like this.
  8. BlackBeard_Thatch

BlackBeard_Thatch Captain of the Queen Anne's Revenge

I always find coin grading to be expensive to begin with and then some places require memberships just to send coin in on top of the price of grading.

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Tim, you've been around here for more than 5 years. Given that this subject has arisen quite frequently, I'm surprised you don't already know the answer.

Chris

10. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Look for the angle... There's ALWAYS an angle with this one. ;)

Evan8 likes this.
  11. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

This may not be common knowledge, but authorized dealers get a rebate from the TPG as compensation for being the middleman. Dealers should grade at the going rate, according to the TPG rate schedule.

12. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I'm an unauthorized dealer. I like living on the edge.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

If that is the case, he should have just come out and said he's looking for a freebie from someone.

Chris

14. Detecto92

Well I'm going to take a few coins down Wednesday, the dealer is 40 miles out, but I'm going to an auction in the same town, so I figure I would kill 2 birds with one stone and save gas.

I will report back Wednesday with the costs.

I had an error coin I wanted graded, but for some weird reason, PCGS charges $60 for that.

The coins I take will be graded at the economy tier, I'm in no hurry to get them back and it's for my own collection.

15. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Yeah error coins are $60 at PCGS and have to be a separate order (processing and shipping, too). But at NGC they're $15 and you can toss em in with a grading order.

16. baseball21

They aren't 15 at ngc they are 15 extra. Standard adding it is 45 at ngc, economy 35.

17. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Yes... and 45 or 35 < 60.
    Furthermore, you'll wait 6-8 weeks on PCGS. And only 14-30 days at NGC, depending on the tier you choose.

18. Detecto92

6-8 weeks? I'm showing 26 days turn around currently on the PCGS website.

19. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Business days. And the two times I used their error service took 2 actual months.

Never again.

dwhiz likes this.
  20. Detecto92

Hmm. I like NGC but I can't stand their holders. I guess it's a Ford VS Chevy or Pepsi Vs Coke kinda thing.

21. baseball21

Yes Ngc error service is about all I will use them for. I don't like PCGS error service, this is the one toke ANACS could be preferable.

Draft saved Draft deleted