Coin grade question

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by cfrenchfci, Nov 30, 2015.

1. cfrenchfci

cfrenchfci Member

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/361440336473

Why is this an ms-63? I'm going through looking at slabbed coins to try to learn how to grade. This one (to me, which granted isn't saying much) looks as good as some MS-65s that I've seen. Most of the 63's I've seen have some pretty dinged up cheeks but this one looks comparitavely clean.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Bad photos to grade from......terrible. MS-suck

4. cfrenchfci

cfrenchfci Member

Actually I may have just answered my own question. Did they over expose the image to make it more difficult to see the dings on the obverse?

JPeace$ likes this.
  5. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

No, the grade itself sucks......stay away from it. Keep with AU or '64 and above.

Enjoy collecting........:)

dwhiz likes this.
  6. cfrenchfci

cfrenchfci Member

Is it worth looking for 63's that are actually 64's? Or is that a rarity?

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Agreed! You'd think that a seller who has over 12,000 sales would learn how to take better photos. I think he overexposed them on purpose.

Chris

JPeace$ and dwhiz like this.
  8. Tydot310

Tydot310 Member

The coin appears to have nice luster but several dings or bag marks from what I can see

9. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

This seller has a number of Morgans that are slabbed 63. They all look pretty much the same, don't give these pictures much credibility. Looks like he wants to sell them for 64 money ...and yes, IMHO, out there among the millions of Morgan dollars, coins graded 63 that are at least debatable 64s are not so hard to find. But you can't tell from photos like these.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2015
  10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I agree with the sentiment that the over exposed photos are hiding the numerous contact marks on the surfaces. I also believe this is on purpose.

I also believe that because there are so many surviving early "S" mint Morgans, they are graded more rigorously than other date/mm coins.

11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

I believe in not ascribing to malice anything which can adequately be explained by stupidity. He's using a cheap, high-megapixel camera, likely a point-and-shoot, and this is what he gets. The detail images look like crops of the original; a modern 16-20MP P&S would do that.

Some people are willing to settle for less quality than others in the name of expense. Not sure why a guy who has almost 100 Morgans alone on Ebay would cheap out on the photography, but he's hardly the only one.

Draft saved Draft deleted