Coin from the 93rd Olympiad

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Dougmeister, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

How cool would it be to own this?

images.jpg images (1).jpg

Elis, Olympia, 93rd Olympiad; c. 408 BC, 93rd Olympiad, 11.70g. BCD-77 (Leu 90, 10 May 2004), Seltman-154h, Traité-231,1. Obv: Eagle's head l.; below, large white poplar leaf. Rx: F-A Thunderbolt with wings above and volutes below; all within olive wreath.

Leu stated in their catalog of the BCD collection that "this coin is likely the finest close-up animal representation found in Greek coinage". We are certainly in agreement with this suggestion. The most talented artists were commissioned to engrave the dies for the coins of the ancient Olympics, showing off the artistry of Greece and resulting in these beautiful coins being treated as prestigious objects. While their primary use was for normal commerce during the games (paying for food, lodging, and entry to see the spectacles), they became popular souvenirs for visitors who wanted to bring a memento of the games home with them.

These coins celebrated the god Zeus and his wife Hera, who presided over Olympia and the games themselves. The Olympic coinage is represented by a small range of imagery, focusing heavily on Zeus and his eagle, sometimes featuring snakes, thunderbolts, Ionic column capitals, or Nike, representing victory at the games. Zeus’ portrait was used on some coins, modeled after the Statue of Zeus, which was one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World. It was also sufficient to use just an eagle or thunderbolt to refer to the god, as Zeus’ symbols were well known.

Eagles have always been a symbol for power, force, and guardianship because of their size, strong claws, and penetrating eyes. They were considered the kings of the air and certainly a fitting animal for Zeus, who presided over the sky and thunder. The eagle on the obverse of this coin is acclaimed as the finest and most detailed representation of the head of an animal on any Greek coin.

Magnificent in its composition and depicted with a great sense of naturalism, its elegance is in its simplicity, showing the strength of Zeus in the eagle’s forceful expression. Below the eagle’s head is a leaf from the white-poplar tree brought from the northern lands to plant at Olympia. The white poplar was sacred to the mythological hero Hercules, and he was crowned with one of its branches as a token of his victory after destroying the Cacus, a fire-breathing giant.

The reverse depicts a thunderbolt, in the usual stylized Greek fashion.

While unsigned, it is probable that the die was engraved by the artist “Da” who signed the preceding, nearly identical die. The coin is worn but appealing, showing clear evidence of its circulation at the Olympics.

One can only imagine the wares purchased and sights seen by the spectators who spent it while in attendance at the 93rd Olympiad, more than 2,400 years ago.Very desirable type. Listed in Seltman's Masterpieces of Greek Coinage. Bold Fine / About Fine

http://hjbltd.com/common/details.asp?item=cc85380

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

4. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

6. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

Awesome coin and great write-up.

7. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the compliments! I've owned that stater for the last few years and finally managed to upgrade it at the NYINC show to an example with better metal and a stronger reverse:

[​IMG]

This coin has a few edge splits but they don't bother me. It was also part of the collection of Larry Stack - the "Stack" from the auction house "Stack's Bowers".

And FYI, I consigned the OP coin to HJB but it is mistakenly still in their Fixed Price List - it isn't actually available for sale via that venue (it didn't sell in the last Buy/Bid Sale but will be available in the next CNG sale, at a lower starting price).

Loong Siew, Bing, Carthago and 8 others like this.
  8. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

:rolleyes:

I thought I recognized that sweet OP-example (yup, that's definitely one of my favourites from your sweet collection, Mr. Bond ... very tough lookin' bird!!)

Ancientnoob likes this.
  9. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Wow, just super, AJ! This is the first time I've seen this upgrade. Congratulations!

Draft saved Draft deleted