Coin from a lost civilization

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Aethelred, May 23, 2017.

1. Aethelred

Aethelred The Old Dead King

This little doll from Carthage arrived from Ancient Imports today, in my opinion it looks better in hand, so I wish each of you could see in in person.

[​IMG]
    Attribution: SNG Copenhagen 202
    Date: 264-241 BC
    Obverse: Head of Tanit left, wreathed in grain
    Reverse: Horse standing right
    Size: 22.78 mm
    Weight: 6.57 grams
    Description: good Fine+

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

LOVIT! Carthage has a cool, rich history. Great capture!

My SNG COP book lists #202 from the Sardinian Mint. 264-241 BCE places it in the First Punic War with Rome, where Rome became a naval power. Very nice!

Last edited: May 23, 2017
    Aethelred likes this.
  4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very nice. I like the surfaces and figures on it.

Aethelred likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I like these and yours in very pleasing
    Sicily, Punic 3.jpg Sicily, Punic 2.jpg SICILY PUNIC 4.jpg

6. Alegandron

I have several AE's from Carthage, but regret I have no AE's specifically from the First Punic War... (I still have to go into my book and specifically attribute these...) Here are a few...

upload_2017-5-23_10-29-33.png
    upload_2017-5-23_10-30-15.png

Puckles, dlhill132, TheRed and 19 others like this.
  7. Aethelred

@Alegandron The Punic Wars capture my imagination in a way few other events in history do, shipwrecks involving hundreds of ships and tens of thousands of people drowning, battles where a hundred people a minute are killed over a span of 10 hours, people defending their city to the death even though they know their cause is lost and fields being sown with salt so that nothing would ever grow again. It all challenges the imagination.

8. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Nice catch , congrats

Here's mine :

P1160926.JPG

9. Alegandron

I agree. We view Rome as the all-pervasive Empire... during the AD period. However, the Punic Wars were somewhat the first WORLD WARS between two behemoths... There were so many times that Rome was almost extinct. What made Rome amazing, was their tenacity to persevere... no matter what. This is why I enjoy the Republic period because of the epic struggles Rome experienced, that tested their mettle, and enabled them MUCH later to have a "World Empire".

10. Aethelred

That is a beautiful example @Andres2

Andres2 likes this.
  11. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

That's a neat little addition!

Aethelred and gregarious like this.
  12. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Man, ya gotta love the Carthage horse coins ...

Bruttium, Carthage Occupation
    A sweet X-mas gift from Gandalf

Bruttium Carthaginian Occupation Gandalf Xmas.png

Carthage (pure sweetness)
    carthage.jpg

Puckles, dlhill132, TheRed and 10 others like this.
  13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Love it.

I've looked longingly at some Carthaginian horsies before, but have not taken the plunge on any.

The electrum issues are of course extremely appealing, but beyond my budget.

14. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

BTW, for those who like to listen to podcasts and audiobooks, Dan Carlin's Punic Nightmares series is well worth the time. I know @Aethelred recently listened to it for a second time and I suspect that might have inspired this coin purchase. There's nothing like listening to a good audiobook or podcast about a certain period in history while holding a a coin in your hand from that era.

Really, Dan Carlin's entire Hardcore History series is worth your while. I suspect many of you already know that. The more recent Hardcore History episodes can be downloaded for free, while earlier, "classic" episodes and series like Punic Nightmares are available for a modest price.

He covers many subjects of ancient history as well as modern. DC's Death Throes of the Republic is another good Hardcore History series dealing with ancient history.

Theodosius, Nyatii, Ajax and 3 others like this.
  15. gregarious

gregarious E Pluribus Unum

nice coin! i've always considered one a must even for a Roman collection.we owe these Phoenicians much. it is a shame we don't know more about them. i have the 400-350 bc type with 3 pellets carthage coin  serpent coin 003.JPG carthage coin  serpent coin 006.JPG

Puckles, Jwt708, Theodosius and 8 others like this.
  16. Aethelred

I just finished "Punic Nightmares" which I enjoyed againg the second time around. I am also reading "Carthage Mvst Be Destroyed" which is actually (so far) a much better book than the title suggested it would be.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted