Coin examination help

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by PaNT3rA, Jul 24, 2019.

1. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

I know im knew to coins and i can make out whats going on most of the time but this idk. Its a 1975 D and on the reverse all the letters in United states of America are all nice and slender except for the right side of the D at the end of United and the ST on state and the E on the epu, also on the date the tip of the 9 is notched looking. Is this some kind of pmd? 20190724_044832-0.jpg 20190724_044254-0.jpg 20190724_044251-0.jpg 20190724_044154-0.jpg 20190724_043948-0.jpg 20190724_042641-0.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

Maybe im going cross eyed the is EPU doubled? Along with the other letters in question?

4. MeowtheKitty

MeowtheKitty Well-Known Member

Meow thinks the date has PMD. The reverse has die deterioration, or a worn die. Pennies on the reverse are VERY common to has weakness in the lettering above the memorial. Meow thinks the design lends it self to wear out there easily there, or the design is flawed in a way, that a less than perfect strike does not allow enough metal to flow into that area.

5. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

Here's another angel on the epu 20190724_063113-0.jpg

6. MeowtheKitty

Meow has a bit of advice. Before you get excited about something, find another penny of the same date and mintmark. And if the look very similar, or have common traits; It highly doubtful there is anything there. Unless you have a roll of new coins. In which case many of them will look identical.

7. MeowtheKitty

Look at roll of pennies. Almost any date has weakness in the end of States, and E pluribus.

8. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

Oh trust me I wasn't excited at all.

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Caused by a grease or debris filled Die. This is a common weak spot.

You're spotting good things but all common so you're learning! Kudos for that! :)

PlanoSteve likes this.
  10. PaNT3rA

PaNT3rA Active Member

Hey thanks man! I wasn't sure what had happened and after I stared at it for an hour I think I went cross eyed and became like one of those 3D poster things

11. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

There is another thing to keep in mind when you see weakness in STATES. Look at the obverse immediately opposite STATES. Lincoln's bust is one of the high points in the coin. It takes a lot of metal to fill it during the striking process and the metal will start flowing into this area first. If the pressures are a slightly off, it can leave the opposite area a little weak.

Hope this helps

Kentucky likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted