Coin enthusiast

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Srs372, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Not the best source, but flea markets and swap meets often have some kinds of dealers.

Srs372 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Srs372

Srs372 New Member

"She" and I don't mean to sound stupid when I post by not having the correct terminology, but as I previously said, I'm very new to this and it is going to take time for me to sound intelligent when posting.

Kentucky likes this.
  4. Kentucky

My apologies and double welcome since we don't get too many of the fairer sex here. Aside from some kidding people here are pretty good unless you get combative. Happy collecting.

5. Srs372

Srs372 New Member

No need to apologize! I'm not here to upset anyone or get into any conflict. I'm extremely interested in not only collecting but gaining as much knowledge as possible. Like I previously stated, any helpful tips or resources anyone is willing to share with me will be appreciated.

Noahqto and Kentucky like this.
  6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Take this as you will....

The physical coins are meaningless in every sense of the word. What is of genuine value here is the family connection and the fact that you're both interested in and caring for something that came from your grandfather. Treasure it always, and simply because it's a gift no monetary value could ever be placed upon.

People such as yourself surely give many of us faith that there is still a lot of good in this hobby.

Welcome to the forum.

7. Kentucky

Awwwwwwww...sometimes you are really sweet :)

CoinCorgi likes this.
  8. Srs372

Srs372 New Member

Thank you, that post was very kind and appreciated. I most certaintly am not interested just for the monetary gain, which I'm sure you all have witnessed countless inquiries regarding value. That's not me and I would hope that people here done write me off assuming that's why I want to be here.

Kentucky likes this.
  9. Srs372

Srs372 New Member

My grandfather taught me a lot and I respect and value every word he ever spoke. I just wish he was still around so we could share in this together. So without him, I look to all of you for guidance... If that's not asking too much.

Kentucky, Mainebill and JPeace$ like this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Don't mind him, he just wishes he were a Rottweiler. ;)

Welcome to CoinTalk!

11. Srs372

Srs372 New Member

Thank you! His comment was a little discouraging, but I understand.

Kentucky and CoinCorgi like this.
  12. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

That is ridiculous, of course you can ask questions that is the whole point of the forum! You seem as if you genuinely want to learn and you can ask anything you want. Welcome, and I hope you stay around.

Srs372 likes this.
  13. Srs372

Srs372 New Member

Thank you!

14. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Just have fun.
    Start by buying a Red Book, aka: The Guide Book of US coins, by RS Yeoman.

Srs372 likes this.
  15. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

@Srs372 , my advice would be to visit Wizard Coin Supply and buy a book on the series you want to collect (Lincoln Cents?). Also, buy a Red Book. You might find another coin series you want to start collecting when reading the Red Book.

Also, visit here often. Read everything you can. Ask questions. There are a lot of very astute collectors/Numismatists who visit this site. Almost all will be very happy to help you.

Welcome to Coin Talk!

Srs372 likes this.
  16. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

Welcome and I hope you can complete it even with the rare ones at some point. Where I started as a 7 year old coin collector. There’s many here that will give good advice whether asked for or not. Some can be a bit sarcastic or abrupt but all in all it’s a good bunch here. Welcome and I wish you the best in your pursuits. I know the relationship with a grandfather as mine took me in when I was 15

Srs372 likes this.
  17. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Ugh.... please don't tell anyone; you'll ruin my hard-earned rep! ;)

Srs372 and Kentucky like this.
  18. Srs372

Srs372 New Member

Thank you very much

JPeace$ likes this.
  19. Srs372

Srs372 New Member

Thank you kindly!

20. ronnie58

ronnie58 Active Member

To be fair this is a bit out of context. I think CoinCorgi meant to do some learning on your own before asking questions. Of course learning means asking questions, but I agree that for the sake of efficiency you can find out most of the basics by reading.
    At the same time this site is probably one of the best and friendliest for clarification of anything you don't understand; but just make an effort to ask informed questions!
    We all have to do that, in order to avoid ending up like Amy Poehler's character in the old 'Rick, Rick!!' sketches with Horatio Sands.:woot::joyful:

CoinCorgi likes this.
  21. Srs372

Srs372 New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted