coin display ideas wanted

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by chrsmat71, May 3, 2016.

1. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

Hi all,
    I'm doing a little coin display in our school library in our library soon, they feature "stuff of the faculty and staff" every now and then.

Anyway, I'll have a display case like this...

[​IMG]

Inside will be four glass shelves up relatively high I can put some coins on along with info about them. They'll be locked in the cabinet in the library, but Ill not put anything very valuable in them anyway. Those of you that know my coins, know that really isn't an issue to begin with.

I was thinking one shelf each of Greek, Roman, Byzantine, and "others". Each with a few coins, some info, and maybe a map. What do you think?

I'll have room at the bottom to put stuff as well, like in the display above. Here I don't really know what to put.

Famous coins that I don't own and can never afford to own?
    Coins of the Bible?
    How ancient coins were made?

I'll also have a little podium. Maybe some flyers about websites to get started and a few LRB in flips people can handle (if they take 'em, go for it)?

Is there any reason this is a bad idea to begin with?

I would appreciate any and all input.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    stevex6, Mikey Zee, TJ1952 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dlhill132

dlhill132 Member

Chrsmat, I think its a great ideal. Let the kids see and touch some history. If you need anymore LRB coins to pass out, holler on my PM.

Doug Hill

chrsmat71 likes this.
  4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

What kind of school is it? As long as it's at least somewhat secure, and you're adequately insured, I think this is a great idea. I once visited a local history museum that had a program where people could assemble and curate their own mini-exhibits. It kind of reminds me of that.

As for what to do with the bottom space, I think coins of the Bible sounds like a great idea. It's something that's broadly relatable, and you can put the verses that relate to the coins next to them.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  5. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Looks like a great idea to me.
    I like the web site and flyer idea.
    Does the library have any ancient coin books? I like to show a coin on a book opened to a picture or description of the coin. History books of Rome often show coins and might fit also.
    I like the idea of letting students hold coins, but I would not put them on the podium.

Mikey Zee, Paul M. and chrsmat71 like this.
  6. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

paul, it's a small community college. it's fairly secure. the cabinet is locked and the staff wouldn't be far from the display case at any given time. there are also cameras in the area. i'm not real worried about loosing any coins.

no ancient coin books, there are a few books on ancient history I could probably put in there however. biblical coins and history books? that might be a good combo.

thanks for the input, and more please.

Paul M. likes this.
  7. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

I wish there was a area school that had interest in coin or paper money collecting when I was growing up and as far as I know there is none now. I commend you for putting some of your collection up for display and I hope that it peaks the curiosity of younger people to venture into the hobby.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

My only suggestion would be to have a large photo of each coin shown to attract attention from people walking near the case. Tiny coins are hard to see unless you are looking for them so you need to include big things to draw viewers over to the case.

Paul M., dlhill132, chrsmat71 and 7 others like this.
  9. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

I second the idea about getting some books in there - it's the library after all! I'd say pictures, maps, and any write-up explaining the coin and their connections and history. I'd personally put the. In chronological order to show change over time, or to see two different cultures' coinage from the same time (say, differences between Roman Empire & Sassanids).

Incidentally, I'm about to have my students start a similar project for a grade - they'll be working off photographs, but will get to put the real thing in their displays. I'll keep you updated...

chrsmat71 and Mikey Zee like this.
  10. Gilbert

Gilbert Part time collector Supporter

Great idea! Bringing new people into our hobby is commendable.

chrsmat71 likes this.
  11. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Any space on the podium for a little laptop or tablet, browser opened to the Colosseo Collection perhaps?

12. Onofrio Bacigalupo

Onofrio Bacigalupo Well-Known Member

If you're in a high school, don't do it! I did once and the display case was broken into and several items were stolen.

13. I would ask @AncientJoe permission to use one of his photos; maybe uncompressed if he has it. Then blow that up as large as possible and post it at the top, to draw attention. Maybe the Aegina stater or Agathokles Tet?

14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

@chrsmat71 I thought it was such a terrific idea:woot::woot:....but now @Onofrio Bacigalupo post has me wondering:(

Last edited: May 3, 2016
    chrsmat71 likes this.
  15. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Toss in a thought: Maps and timelines. Focus on big events that most people have "heard of" before. A couple large pics of coins like Doug suggests. Maybe a couple really cool / fun historical events that tie into people's lives today...

And great idea sharing your love on Ancients and bring them to life!

16. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

A few thoughts and suggestions in addition to the useful ones already posted.

1. If you're worried about theft, include a large, prominent display stating something like "Many ancient coins, such as the ones displayed here, can be purchased at prices as low as $5 - $20." It seems unlikely that someone would break into a display for a few coins worth this amount.

2. In addition to illustrating the ancient process of striking coins, you might include a picture of an ancient die (which can be found in any number of old auctions) and an illustration of the striking process. Personally, I've always found ancient dies fascinating.

3. Doug's idea of using large photos of each coin to draw in viewers is fantastic. Don't limit these photos to only those coins that you provide -- include high-profile coins that other collectors on this site might be willing to provide in very large size.

Kentucky, Paul M., beef1020 and 3 others like this.
  17. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

How coins were made, what they could buy, and how many have survived until now might get some people interested. Relating them to people's lives seems to interest my family.

Some enlargements of awesome coins and their stories would be good.

chrsmat71, Alegandron and Mikey Zee like this.
  18. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

Absolutely! Just send me a PM with anything you'd like - I can send them with or without the black background as well if it would display easier.

Alegandron and chrsmat71 like this.
  19. Eng

Eng Senior Eng

Hi Chris, We have a display case about the same size we do at a local fair in the fall its put on by the PNNA, and all the local coin clubs host 4 hour shifts.
    Las Vagas, West Wa_opt (4).jpg

This will not be a small undertaking, i would offer two ideas.
    First make a time line on three shelves, this might be the best for you, you could use a lot of pictures with your coins through the century's.
    Las Vagas, West Wa_opt (2).jpg
    As you can see it will take a lot of coins. The other idea is to make maps of roman and Greek areas with coins as a city's or area where there from.
    Las Vagas, West Wa_opt (3).jpg

If you have time you can stop by a lCS and ask for world coins to put out for free, many of these will be from the same area.
    Las Vagas, West Wa_opt (5).jpg
    I would add that you leave some kind of contact number or email for any ?? hope this helps.:)

chrsmat71, Paul M., stevex6 and 2 others like this.
  20. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

I strongly second the idea of enlargements. I have visited many coin displays and coins are too small to grab much attention without a hook. Usually one can see only one side of a coin. A picture of both sides, at least 2 or 3 inches in diameter, can draw attention and then a thread from the photo to the coin can get the viewer to actually look at the coin.

I'd point out the legend and in big type give it and translate it.

A couple of lines of history (but not a lot) would place them in time.

Give, in big type, a URL for some site of links to more information. Students could use their cell phone to see that lots of information is out there to be had.

When you look at your coins, how close do you get? Close! Put the coins at eye level very close to the front of the case. (I could even see hanging a cheap magnifying glass for viewers to use.)

How about including some images of the recent Seville hoard?

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/coin-hoard-found-in-spain.278060/

People in the US tend to think old coins must be rare. This could show them why they are not.

21. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

I like the idea of relatively big pictures. You can borrow some from the internet.
    The Republican series has a few "good" stories. Among them:
    The Romans kidnapping their wives from a party with the Sabines. This was the basis for the movie and play 7 brides for 7 brothers.
    sabine women.jpg
    9._ruleofengagement67hires.jpg
    Tarpeia's trechary -
    tarpeiacoin.jpg

http://www2.cnr.edu/Home/araia/Livy_Tarpeia.html

Cipius, the snorer - college students should love this story

The wolf and twins - several coins have this scene

Aeneas carrying his father from a burning Troy
    Aeneas and father.jpg
    Aeneas and father coin.jpg

etc.

Paul M., dlhill132, stevex6 and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted