Coin Dealers?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by PamR, May 25, 2022.

1. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

I know in this day and age it is hard to find “honesty”. Not all but some. Do y’all advise to send in coins or have y’all dealt with coin dealers in your local areas? Just have many of one kind of coin and well the photos I cannot seem to get them right at times. I know Lincoln’s many are not interested in but it seems those are studied often as I read. Several 69s cents, 92s, 82-d , jfk etc. I know things are costly to send in. Thanks!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I used to send in coins on my own. That's been years ago.... The last 6-8 years I have carried my coins to my coins shop buddy and he piggybacks them in with his stuff. Sometimes it takes longer while he gets his submission together, but it is much cheaper for me.... And besides, it means I get to visit the coin shop.

4. PamR

Thank you. I have been researching and watching reviews on some. A lot in Baton Rouge did not reopen after 2016 flood. I’m checking New Orleans as well but the same with Katrina and Ida as well. I will carefully research. Thanks again!

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  5. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

Pam, correct me if my assumption is incorrect, but are you saying that because of poor photos you are looking for other opinions than those you got here? Or are you just wishing to preserve them? If the latter, then it is much more cost effective to slab them yourself or purchase coin capsules.
    If the former, they would have to grade on the high end to make it worthwhile financially, and to get an error/variety attribution on the label involves an additional fee.

AdamL, tibor and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. PamR

No, I’m not doubting anyone. Yes some have different opinions. Just others are hard to get the true photo of the shape and detailed of a coin that’s why most send in. I would not send a Lincoln or anything in unless it was a doubled coin, rare etc. Not sure if you are implying whether I have high end coins but I look at it as if it’s a coin worth it to me to ask although it may not be worth anything to someone else. Vice versa! So no I’m not saying that.

7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

I would always do the submitting yourself with 1 exception. The only exception I would make would be submitting through a major auction house for sale. With that out of the way there's countless reasons to not trust a dealer to submit for you. There's obvious ones like being dishonest swiping it with a lower grade version of one of theirs, just keeping a coin, overcharging you etc. There's also more than one story of a freak accident happening to a coin and the owner getting essentially no compensation because the dealer put an absurdly low insurance amount on it to pocket more money and keep their fees down.

There's also the fact that if something happens to the dealer you're never seeing your coins again. Whether its unfortunately death/health related, or going out of business/declaring bankruptcy (both of which are MAJOR concerns in todays climate) you're never seeing that coin(s) or your money ever again.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    wxcoin, PamR and expat like this.
  8. PamR

Thank you. Appreciate it!

9. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

I’ve only sent one in for grading and that was a Colonel Note from 1773. I have some I need to grade but I like them raw. If I want a coin graded I’ll buy it that way. Every now and then I see an older coin that should be graded. Sometimes I buy it, mostly I don’t. As for modern coins, I feel your chances of finding one to be graded are extremely rare. The costs to grade are on the high side and it’s just not worth it. Modern coins need to be a MS-68 or better and with the quality the mint puts out, that grade just isn’t there. I’ve even bought Cents from the 1950’s that have graded a MS-67 or 68 for $5.00. Judd set t not worth the money.

PamR and expat like this.
  10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Help me here.

Are you talking about selling them? you say 'dealt with coin dealers'

or sending them in for slabbing?

11. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

That was my assumption.

12. PamR

I know many send coins in. I was asking about local coin dealers in one’s town.

13. PamR

Thank you.

14. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

What about local dealers? What do you want to do?

15. PamR

Just was curious. But if I were to sell I would not just go to any coin dealer. Would probably sell on Cointalk. There is always something that someone likes if that makes sense. Whether it’s worth a penny, cent, nickel, world, etc.

MIGuy likes this.
  16. Collecting Nut

You’re welcome

17. Collecting Nut

You’re welcome

PamR likes this.
  18. Collecting Nut

My phone service is nuts today.

Kentucky and PamR like this.
  19. PamR

Weather here today. So no telling with WiFi etc.

20. PamR

Like this one. Maybe you see this every day, but some I have from my dad. His dad was from or born in Andorra. His mom from Sicily. So for me, priceless. 6D1CCE0B-0A23-4FBF-9BFB-1B7B700BD12B.jpeg C4035953-6DF8-46B4-BC70-3BCBAE3AA01D.jpeg

green18 likes this.
  21. PamR

Thank
    Thank you. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted