Coin dealers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bruthajoe, Dec 13, 2019.

1. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The last bloody thing we need in this hobby is government intervention.........

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KSorbo

KSorbo Well-Known Member

In our hobby we are very quick to condemn people who buy low and sell high. What about the obscenely high markups on other hobby items such as golf balls and fishing tackle? Maybe the government needs to take some antitrust action against Dick’s Sporting Goods and Bass Pro Shops. After all, they buy up large quantities so that the little guys can’t compete and have to pay an extra markup just to get the things they need! And while we’re at it we should also go after the jewelry chains at the mall, along with Macy’s and Nordstrom’s and all the other speculators!

We should feel lucky that we are in a hobby where we know what the markups are and can even buy and flip coins ourselves.

okbustchaser and green18 like this.
  4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Dog eat Dog and Survival of the fittest.......

5. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Looking to get rid of any half-cents, two, three, or twenty-cent pieces, or classic gold for which you've lost all respect? ;)

As long as demand is greater than supply, the sky's the limit. Lots of vultures up there. Better carry an umbrella.

6. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

You mean carrion umbrella?;)

7. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

My dealer is as top notch as they come and I am proud to post his info:
    Gilbert Coin Exchange. Gilbertcoins.com

His premium stuff is marketed under PQDollars.com.

Absolute first class friends and dealers.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  8. St Gaudens collector

St Gaudens collector Active Member

I'd place coin dealers below televangelists & used car salesmen.
    Even Burnie Madoff got ripped off by one.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  9. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Over the years, you learn who to trust and you build on that. It's not that hard to learn who the good guys are. If you buy from every dealer/person that comes along, you will have problems unless you know what you are doing and can inspect the coin in hand.
    We should all have rules that we follow. I don't have problems because of one rule.
    "Know your dealer."

10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Absolutely this is the answer. Truer words were never spoken.

11. slackaction1

slackaction1 Supporter! Supporter

especially your drug dealer...……………... WALMARTS

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Maybe not from a legal perspective, but it may cost you many thousands of dollars out of your pocket before the court agrees with you.

No it was created to sell, to anyone inorder for the mint to make a profit. The Mint doesn't really care what you do withthem after you pay for them.

A difference in mintage of 80,000.

They tried that back in 1876 with people depositing silver for Trade dollars that had just recently been demonitized in this country. Depositor had to sign a statement saying the coins would be exported out of the country. Then once they got them they put them in circulation here.

Might violate the spirit, but it's not against any rules.

I've advocated that for several years as the only way to produce cents and not lose money on them. Sell advertising on the back. For a million dollars we will put your company logo, your picture, an ad etc on 75 million cents. you can order as many as you want in million dollar increments. Cheaper than a Superbowl ad, and your ad stays in peoples hands for years rather than 30 seconds.

I'd rather have White Castles.

13. STU

STU Active Member

I have had nothing but bad luck with any coin dealer I go in like I don't know munch about coins to see if they give me a fair price but $20.. for a certified pcg 1840 silver dollar is an insult in new York and vermont

14. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Sounds like GOOD luck to me. They told you everything you needed to know about their business practices right up front.

15. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

That’s just gross . . .

Razz likes this.
  16. Casman

Casman Well-Known Member

I've had nothing but fair dealings and honest business practices from Rick Snow, a true gentleman.

All the schmos are very easy to spot at coin shows. Busted bussing in loads of Korean immigrants hired as straw buyers at the 2014 ANA. Others Cutting the lines with their gang of Khacki pant white shirt clones, forging credentials....

It was kinda Funny watching the cops trying to form a line when half of it didn't speak english. I will add although the US Mint condemned the chaos, they had no issue with 1 guy standing at the register swiping his plastic for his straws.

17. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be keeping a list of all the guys you folks recommend in all the various threads and look for them at FUN (in addition to working with them afterwards). That way, I can spend more time at their tables and prioritize.

Thanks for the tip, Randy. :cigar:

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted