Coin dealers

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by bruthajoe, Dec 13, 2019.

1. bruthajoe

bruthajoe Still Recovering

I've been seeing a lot of criricism on how the Gov dispursed the coins. Gotta partially blame them for supposedly "limited availability".

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You'd still have to prove it if they take you to court if you're just out there trashing them with accusations. You also better make sure that it is a no doubt cut and dry situation with evidence and not something like a grading opinion. Nothing said here is going to change the numismatic world or reform some dealer anyways

If they're that bad never give them business again and warn people in a general sense of the practice that you fell for

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  4. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@DANIEL HENRIQUEZ: two comments about your lengthy post.

1. Money is not the root of all evil. If you are quoting the Bible here the exact reference is "...the LOVE of money is the root of all evil." (emphasis mine). There is a huge difference.

2. Do you really want to go on record here on CT wishing that bad things happen to even a collector who tries to flip ONE coin? Gosh, I would be scared of bad karma coming back to ME if I wished bad things on others.

Steve

coin dog, NSP, GoldFinger1969 and 5 others like this.
  5. baseball21

Wondering why something so absolutely heinous has not been edited out, but I hope you seek counseling for mental help. Wishing tragedies on people is not normal behavior and mental illnesses are not a laughing matter.

NSP, C-B-D, Kentucky and 6 others like this.
  6. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I do have one question about the coin that is supposed to be Enhanced Reverse Proof ASE with a San Francisco mintmark. Other than the mintmark, what is/are the difference between the Enhanced Reverse Proof ASE (S) and the Enhanced Reverse Proof ASE with the West Point mintmark that came with the Canadian Maple Leaf silver dollar?

7. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

And all of this could easily be solved by the Mint running a random lottery with such limited-edition releases.

But they don't do that... I wonder why....? Hmmm...

8. baseball21

Mintage. 30k for the S over 100k for the pride set one

9. mlov43

mlov43 주화 수집가

Whoa! Yes, well said!
    I hadn't read that part of the post. Holy smokes.

Chuck_A, Kentucky and Stevearino like this.
  10. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

I had planned to keep mine but when the prices got up to $2,000 decided I could buy several really nice coins and also pay for Christmas by selling it. If that makes me a bad guy then so be it.

11. masterswimmer

masterswimmer A Caretaker, can't take it with me

There are doctors that can help you! You certainly have anger management issues.

Something as trivial as this one coin causes you such angst that you wish a tragedy to everyone's family that bought and flipped this coin? Shameful!

12. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Back to basics: if you want to see the price come down on the reverse silver eagle, just let the sellers keep them. Add a bit of patience and stir.

ToughCOINS and GoldFinger1969 like this.
  13. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind hearing what you think some of those signals are, Randy.

14. GoldFinger1969

We've talked about this, I think when most of us use the term "dealer" we mean our LCS (Local Coin Shop).

We all know that some of the bigger shops, television sellers, and big show promoters got more than they deserved.

15. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Maxfli likes this.
  16. baseball21

Everyone got what they paid for, no one had back room deals for more.

Nothing stopped anyone else from paying up and getting the same amount

17. GoldFinger1969

Hey God Bless.....I never object to fortune benefitting The Little Guy.

My beef is NOT that I didn't get one, but that some folks got dozens or hundreds of the coins for $69.95 and then gouged the public market.

There IS a way to prevent this. The government already does this in another area....

Every buyer should have to certify that they are buying the coin for THEMSELVES and have not made any agreement to sell the coin beforehand to any dealer or individual, nor used any funds provided by a 3rd-party seller. The government and related agencies already require this on a specific class of investment IPOs. They prosecuted some people.....fines and profits disgorged...and yeah, some people actually thrown in jail. :wideyed:

You would find it very easy to trace the purchase orders to these Ebay and TV sellers with dozens or hundreds of coins. The threat of prosecution would deter them, trust me.

18. GoldFinger1969

But the same coin essentially, right BB21? Same as with that 2013-W coin ?

19. GoldFinger1969

If employing bots and proxies -- like happened with the JFK Gold at the ANA Convention -- isn't a violation of specific purchase order limits, it clearly violates the spirit.

20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Where and how do you suppose they did this? I got email myself from a dealer that was offering a $100 premium (oooooh, aaaaah) for anyone who bought one and sent it to them unopened. Other dealers quickly realized they'd need to offer more, and did. It's my understanding that many of the early eBay sales went to dealers.

But the offer I described wasn't an "agreement... beforehand", and didn't involve any funds in advance.

I understand the disappointment of those who missed out; I've missed out on enough offers myself. I am NOT INTERESTED in supporting any attempts to prevent me or anyone else from reselling a duly-purchased and duly-owned coin.

21. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

The Spirit? God save you. There is no 'spirit', only sharks, and the sooner you learn that, the better.

Draft saved Draft deleted