Coin dealer in Nairobi, Kenya

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by frog5326, Aug 22, 2012.

1. frog5326

frog5326 Interested collector

Does anyone know of any coin dealers in Nairobi, Kenya with a solid reputation?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Nairobi Bill has quite the reputation. :devil: Just kidding, I am sure there are many honest folks there.

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The same ones who sell out of China have branch offices there, I believe.

5. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Now come on. I buy from a few excellent dealers in China. I wish US and European dealers had such great customer service skills as these dealers have.

Please don't paint such a broad brush. There are excellent dealers from everywhere, and swindlers everywhere.

micbraun likes this.
  6. frog5326

I appreciate the words of advise. My only reason for asking is I live in Nairobi and would like to visit some stores to pursue this hobby. Sometimes researching online is cumbersome here because the internet is sometimes sketchy at best.

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

funny! :D

8. heck just fake it.

9. frog5326

Well appreciate the advise, even synaclism. Have a good one!

10. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

Let me know what you find out - I've been interested in medieval African coinages lately, and those can be quite difficult to find over here.

11. frog5326

Ardatirion,

No problem. I have a line on Somali coins, have to see if it fleshes out. At this point, I am trying to find a baseline of what is around and who is reputable. As note in this thread, Africa is a fun place to deal with. Have a good day!

12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

tear rolls down cheek, in sorrow.

13. medoraman

Really? You have a better place to buy ancient chinese coins than from China? Yes, there are many dealers of fakes, but also some dealers of real coins.

14. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

15. Ardatirion

Ardatirion Où est mon poisson

That's why there's only three of us here who have collected them.

16. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Africa is a big place but this brings up the question as to whether the few African ancients are more easily found there than here. If you travel to Ethiopia do you see piles of Axumite coins in every flea market or does the national museum system own three coins? Most of the coins discussed on this board predate most of the sub-Saharan African written history that I have seen so I would be most interested in hearing what you find. I would suspect that any ancient coins in Kenya might have traveled there with some British gentleman of the previous centuries rather than being left over from commerce in the time of the Caesars but it would be wonderful to find out I was wrong about that one. Keep us posted.

17. medoraman

IDK Doug. While maybe not in Kenya, don't forget the Romans used to carry out trade and load ships from the Red Sea and transport overland to the Nile to carry on trade with India. I believe its around modern day Eritrea where the ships on the Red Sea were loaded. I guess ships weren't able to sail up the Red Sea due to prevailing winds.

18. Ripley

Ripley Senior Member

One of my favorites, from next door in Etheopia. "The Ganga Man" himself. :foot-mouth:[​IMG][​IMG]

sonlarson and Theodosius like this.
  19. Ephantus K.

Ephantus K. New Member

"My only reason for asking is I live in Nairobi and would like to visit some stores to pursue this hobby. Sometimes researching online is cumbersome here because the internet is sometimes sketchy at best." Did you ever find a dealer?? ....i also live in Nairobi.

20. kolhoznik

kolhoznik Member

I would bet you could find some good examples of Mombasa Rupees and 1887 Ethiopian Birrs. I have had trouble finding good examples here in the States. You might even find a German East African 2 Rupien that has made to your part of the continent.

21. frog5326

Ephantus K.

No, I have not found any consistent source of coins in Nairobi. I have hit a couple antique shops but no luck on coins. I have found a line on Somali Italian Rupees from the early 1900s. Not all in great shape but something to work with.....

Draft saved Draft deleted