Coin DD errors and die ERROS

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Marco A. Lopez, Aug 25, 2020.

?

Do you see a face die ERROS due to planchet rust errosion/corrosion? The star errors?letter light DD

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  1. I just minted my first coins after some videos on YouTube to learn and study. About over 2000 coins and some tools to help I graded these. I see the things that are not there apperently.What do you guys think? I see die ERROS on its face. 2 mouths,chins,and ears. It nearly 3 time died errored.they claimed planchet rust corrosion. Doubling on the letters,a star missing half it's stamp and one DD stamped. Dubbling on the words.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I see no "errors" on this coin.

4. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Love the enthusiasm. But I am with @furryfrog02 on this one. Just an honest bicentennial quarter is all I see.

Inspector43 and Marco A. Lopez like this.
  5. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I cleaned my glasses and still don't see what you are trying to describe. Just an AU certified coin.

6. Like the mouth are doesn't have a 2nd mouth slightly elevated and a mouth behind. Followed by it's smear.? Look at it's contours and transfer it around the coin.

7. Idk dude. I use mags try to ensure it was not man made and sharp.it looked like it was of the machine(mint press)

8. Mountain Man

I believe what you are seeing is called PMD, or post mint damage, which happened after it left the mint. If you are trying to get better at identifying Doubled Die coins, you should study some of the many sites that show you the differences.
    http://www.error-ref.com
    http://www.doubleddie.com/1801.html
    And there are others. Good luck.

Inspector43 likes this.
  9. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think this is what you are talking about for the mouth...
    cert_39608871_trueview_199060728_Large.jpg

With another set of lips behind and slightly above the "usual" lips. The bad scratch/peel just behind it gives me the impression of Post Minting Damage.

10. Do you notice how it almost whent for a 3rd one? It matches the demention lines to the original mouth.also the strike pattern as I call it. I'm new. It moves upwards at the same consistent angle and location.

11. Mountain Man

Encouragement isn't always the best in some instances. JMHO

ZoidMeister and furryfrog02 like this.
  12. Mountain Man

No, and no, but let others chime in.

13. Kentucky

However there is something there, probably PMD

14. Kentucky

So, you are the one that had this one and the nickel graded at PCGS, or did you buy them already in the slab?

15. Our graders were correct not to designate these items as mint errors. As for the second coin in question, the effect the customer is describing on the obverse of the bicentennial quarter is the result of excessive die erosion and is neither a mint error nor a recognized variety.

Die erosion as if the parts that has the age was all chewed up and needed to be replaced.eaning there's far worse and mine is just the start to a bigger hunt.

16. No I sat and searched some rolls from the bank as the pandemic began.bought some. Had some as well.

17. Kentucky

These are PCGS graded coins. Either you sent them in or you bought them already graded...which one?
    Do you employ graders or work for PCGS?

Sorry, but it is difficult to know what you are trying to say.

18. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Hear, hear!

19. Well it's clearly in English and simply felt like what we saw was not the outcome. An no, neither. I'm a normal guy of the street . Just like bank robbers , there are coin theifs and highly studied people that can't be trusted. Hate.pocket pickers. Crime rings in the grading and auction world.

20. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

Say whatttttttttttt????????

21. Haaha. Ok, a question. So how do they grade chicken scratches on coins to a certain coin stamped on a certain coin or a really worn coin? I have a state quarter were the South Dakota rocking chair lady is stamped on the Connecticut Washington side in front of his nose. Looks like it's soul is being taken.

Draft saved Draft deleted