Coin date storage

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by eric6794, Dec 30, 2019.

1. eric6794

eric6794 Well-Known Member

I have decided to take a new approach at coin roll hunting. I primarily search Lincoln cents and when I search a box I go through them and throw all of the known variety years in a bowl to look at later but I decided instead of throwing them all in a bowl where the dates are mixed up that it would be a better idea to sort dates for when I have the time to look at them close up I can pick a year and go through that year. I figured that would help me in the long run because there are so many doubled die variations out there I often have to use a attribution site to help me and I figured it would be best to just stick to one year at a time so I dont have to navigate the web as much and I think it would be a better learning experience for me. My question is can anyone think of something I can buy that I can easily just drop coins in to organize maybe something that can hold 40'ish different dates in like a box type style, I'm not a crafty person so I cant think of a way to build something like that is there something out there that I'm not thinking of? any ideas would help. And yes the answer is probably obvious but i'm coming up with a blank right now lol.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

Individual coin tubes (I prefer the round clear ones). Each tube can be marked to hold a specific date. The tubes are inexpensive, however for very fine coins they can increase slight abrasion marks, so not be shaking them often. There is also an upright holder with about 20-30 little drawers, which slide out, each can hold about 100 cents. Easy to label, I will try to send you an image if you want.
    Gary in Washington

4. GSDykes

Little drawers:
    drawer1.jpg

eric6794 likes this.
  5. eric6794

yes please, I am not overly concerned about possible abrasion because the coins would already be in circulated condition. I have plenty of plastic coin tubes but when i'm searching I just want to be able to drop the coin in the tube and move on so something like a holder would be what i'm looking for.

6. eric6794

lol, you know that old saying cant see the forest for the tree's.....well :hilarious:

7. eric6794

never occurred to me to use a nut/bolt organizer. I swear I'm not daft :D

8. GSDykes

Good to hear. Hope it works out!
    Have a happy new year!
    Gary in Washington

9. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I created a sorting grid on an 8.5"x11" sheet of paper. When I searched a box of cents, I would organize my coins according to a grid (e.g., a box for LWCs, LMCs, DDOs/DDRs, Canadian/Foreign, and another for Error/Other). When the box was complete, I'd put away the LWCs and LMCs into tubes (tube collection by date/mm) trading out the worst for the best. Excess goes into bulk storage. Same for Canadian/Foreign coinage (bulk storage). With regards Errors/Varieties (clashes, MADs, DDO/DDR, and others) I do the online reviews or hardcopy lookups. Those generally go into 2x2 flips. Once the sheet is clear...onto another box.

eric6794 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted