Coin Database

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by klo, Sep 29, 2005.

1. klo

klo Developer

I guess I am a little proud of finally getting all of this software written -- so I just wanted to share my own personal world coin collection with everyone.

I don't know thats there are a whole bunch of really 'exotic' coins in the collection, but I have always been pleased with acquiring them as I go. :)

http://www.kevinludlow.com/coins.html

-Kevin

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ian

Ian Coin Collector

a labour of love eh? :)

That must have been some exercise from start to finish. Nice crisp enhanced images available. The Maori on the NZ 10c really sticks his tongue out at you.

One potential enhancement you might consider at some oint though. If you were to incorporate some kind of index, perhaps alphabetically by country and by denomination that your collection / database would be more searchable by people wishing to hone in on the coinage of a given location. For example....what page do i find yuor french coins on? However that should not detract from the hard work that you have done.

How come you only have one US coin. What a pity it wasn't a proof 1913 too eh? :D

Good work there, and long may it keep growing.

Ian

4. klo

klo Developer

Thanks

Ian,

Thanks much for your words.

I am working on getting some other searching / sorting features but just wanted to display the working 'beta' version.

It sure does! Having lived in NZ, I can tell you it's quite a site to see a traditional Maori really stick his tongue out at you! It gives real meaning to those 10c coins.

-Kevin

5. ajm229

ajm229 Lincoln Cent Collector

Wow.... that's AWESOME! How did you come to acquire all of those different foreign coins? (Well, foreign to me, at least!)

6. kvasir

kvasir Show me the Money**

WOW very nice. I was gonna do something like that. I've already started setting up a database and all the required fields. Recently I've imported a few entries into MySQL just to experiment. Eventually I want my database to be searchable from my website. Right now i'm trying to learn how to write the PHP codes.

What kind of set up do you use?

7. klo

klo Developer

my site

Kvasir,

My entire site is coded in PHP. I do some applications in Python, some in C++, but everything that the user sees is via PHP in some way or another. Apache has a number of neat tweaks that allow me to 'mask' the PHP extensions and make everything appear statically.

Normally I would do all of this in MySQL - but oddly enough, there is no database. I came up with an organized file structure instead of using the more traditional SQL route. It just looks like a database, so I called it one. SQL would have been a lot easier to implement! :)

-Kevin

8. satootoko

satootoko Retired

Check it out the same way I did to find all of his Japanese coins - click on the column heading "Origin" and the database will be resorted by country, then scroll down past the "E" section.

Be sure to stop before the "G" section if you want to see his French coins. :p

9. Aidan Work

Aidan Work New Member

Cataloguing coins.

Kevin,have you ever thought of dividing your coin website into British Commonwealth coins & Non-British Commonwealth coins? As a collector of British Commonwealth coins,I traditionally divide the British Commonwealth into the following geographical regions;

Australia.(Includes the Hutt River Province Principality.).

British Africa.(Includes Zimbabwe after 2003,the Republic of Somaliland,but not Mozambique.).

British America.

British Asia & Far East.

British Europe.(Includes the Republic of Ireland (1949-).

& British Pacific Islands.(Includes the New Hebrides.).

I do a similar thing with my banknotes & postal orders,even
    though I have not as yet built a website,let alone bought a computer.

Aidan.

Draft saved Draft deleted