coin country

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lloyd, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Lightningrod

Lightningrod New Member

Well, sometimes. They had 15 proof sets for $100 tonight. Is that not pretty good?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lightningrod

Lightningrod New Member

actually it might have been 16 or 17 mixture of proofs and mints. cant remember.

4. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

I've never heard of Coin Country. We do get Coin Shoppe on SHOPNBC and Coin Collector on HSN. I will say they usually do have pretty nice stuff, but WHOA it should be nice at the prices. I record all these shows and watch the parts I'm interested in, A couple of times I have tracked the sales when they show how many are sold and how many they say are sold on HSN. If they are accurate with what they show and say as sold they take in hudge amounts at times as in barely over 6 figures in two hours. One night I saw one of them selling a set of gold coins, had something to with oriental good luck and the number eight. Anyway, you could still order it from the mint and they were asking more than $300.00 over the mint price. I think what really helps their sales is the way people can buy and split the payments over several months. I also think a lot of people just trust them. I've often wondered about their return policies. If you send something back, do they refund the S&H or just the price of the coin(s) you purchased. The gentleman on HSN, has anyone ever heard of him as a coin dealer in any respect other than selling coins on TV?

5. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I've been watching con country tonight. Robert Chambers (the clown) has moved there from whatever coin ripoff show he was on before. The best deals I've seen tonight are at least 33% over RETAIL. And most of it is much more outrageous than that. This has been discussed here many times before. If you order from any of these TV coin guys you're just uninformed.

6. Mr. Coin Lover

Mr. Coin Lover Supporter**

TV coin sales has been talked about several times at various different forums. Most collectors put them down. If you have two used cars for sale one from a dealer and one from a private person or used car lot, a lot of people will buy from the dealer due to trust or thinking it is a better car even though the most expensive. It has also been discussed several times they bring new collectors into the hobby. I doubt anyone taking coin collecting seriously would continue in the hobby paying their prices. I do almost admire sometimes the way they will present a collection, I think it is well done especially on HSN. Both are very good at making it sound as though there is a limited amount or rareity involved. The price quote HSN uses "from a leading coin catalog" to illustrate what a bargain the buyer would be getting amazes me. I can only think a MS-70 price is the price being quoted. If people want to pay these prices and feel comfortable or safe buying from them it's their money. What I really don't like about the show are the "hosts". They know little to nothing about the coins, but go on and on about what a great deal, buy while they last, and etc. After saying all this I admit I enjoy watching the shows, I just won't pay their prices. As for Robert Chambers he must be doing something right. He's been doing it for over twenty years. Maybe we (including myself) are too critical of them. The bottom line is they do sell a tremendous amount of coins at prices most people who sell coins would do so if they got the opportunity to do the exact same thing. If you watch sit back and enjoy. If they are selling a coin like one you have you'll now know what your coin will be worth in about five years if the market stays strong.

7. donnyb

donnyb Member

Update

Lying Jimmy is still hawking outragoeus prices for his great rare finds, and Robert Chambers has now replaced John Binns, they had to let him go over his manacure. it is wild and crazy now and called Coin Country Coin Vault, they lost the best part of the show with John Binn, it is funny to watch the coin prices they offer.

8. bama guy

bama guy Coin Hoarder

Hate the old guy with the funny hats left, he was just way to cool. I noticed that Chambers tries to dominate all the coin shows he has been on. Talks the same junk but with different people. Got to give old chamber credit he does not go quietly into the night. I do not believe a direct hit from a nuke would take him out.

9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Oh the ego and self absorption of that guy. Wait, he'll be running the whole show before long. Anybody that gets in his way he steamrolls. I remember, a couple of years ago, when he was on shop at home and there was this young lady helping out with the selling....I don't know, she must o' been filling in for someone.....you could sense the hostility on the set between the two. Never saw her again. Then you had Paul Hollis who used to sidekick with him...that didn't last long. I think Hollis knew more than Chambers and you could at times sense the tension between them. Yup, give it some time and it will be just old Bob doin' the show.

10. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

You are so right! And the guy he is working with now knows it. I was watching last night, and I just got the vibe that that guy was SCARED! LOL

11. Lightningrod

Lightningrod New Member

Can someone tell me the best place to buy then? Cause that 17 piece mix of proofs and mints for $99 up on their site right now seems like a nice starting place.

I need some direction

12. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

Well, first I must ask, is it exactly 17 proof and mint sets for $99, and if so, what years of sets does this include?

13. Lloyd

Lloyd New Member

yeah I felt the same thing.Scott looked like he was annoyed at Robert Chambers because he is soooo arrogunt and seems to know everything.Even that idiot on the other network Mike Mezak is arrogant and keeps on bragging how many state quarters he has sold since 1999. who the heck cares
    also does Robert Chambers not work for /or is associated with Leon Hendrickson's Silver Towne coins in Winchester,Indiana ?

Draft saved Draft deleted