Coin Corrosion prevention

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by ERROR HUNTER, Feb 11, 2010.

1. ERROR HUNTER

ERROR HUNTER Coins,Stamps

Corrosion is the most hated thing in coin collecting along with cleaning.Corrosion just eats the metal of the coin until it simply breaks.The result coin is worthless.
    There is 1 good way to prevent corrosion.

1. When putting a coin in a holder swab the coin with some rubbing alcohol some chemicals in the alcohol will counteract the acids that start corrosion.

Compare the pics, a nice on and a bad one.Don't let your coins turn to this.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I don't know where you're getting your ideas, salt is extremely corrosive and very, very harmful to coins. I can think of little else that wouldbe moreharmful to coins than dipping them in salt water. NEVER do that !

4. grizz

grizz numismatist

....yeah, just look what salt does to a car!

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Oh my god!! Talk about a coin taking it on the chin!!

6. Marshall

Marshall Junior Member

The key to the shipwrecks is GOLD. It is one of the most stable and corrosion resistant elements on earth. It isn't likely to corrode under any condition. Silver and copper; however, will turn truly ugly in a salty environment and turn frequently in spite of efforts to keep them in low humidity, chemically inert environments.

7. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

This is bad advice and in error.

This is bad advice and in error. Please don't offer sugestions like this until you learn some more truth! Salt water is one of the very worst things you could subject any coin to. The gold found on the bottom of the sea faired well becuase it was gold and it was cold, that's all. Even then it took intense conservation methods to return many of those.
    No proof gold (that I know of) was ever found in any shipwrecks.

8. Info Sponge

Info Sponge Junior Member

Draft saved Draft deleted