Coin Collectors and Keys

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Kentucky, Aug 23, 2020.

1. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

!!!

kkm likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

A chargeable offence!

4. Kentucky

Thank you.

5. Kentucky

Just a fun post, hope people are enjoying it. I remember searching change for one as a kid in the 1950's (never found one). Finally bought one in the 80's or so for $10.50 and the other probably after 2000 for $10 or so. I read somewhere that circulated ones are more scarce than uncirculated ones. This was recognized as a low mintage key in 1950, and most were hoarded.

6. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

And still pick up a nice one as I find them.

7. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

No / not a bad coin to have.

8. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I worked the numbers several different ways years ago and I kept coming up with a number somewhere between 1 and 2 million for all collectors from the very casual through cut throat serious. That would mean roughly 1 out of every 200 to 300 people you meet is a collector and that seems fairly reasonable from my experience. If you go with 10 million them one out of every 30 people you meet is a collector. Does that mirror anyones experience here?

Good Cents likes this.
  9. coin dog

coin dog Well-Known Member

I have 8 1950 D Nickels, and I don't feel guilty at all.
    80bf4fb6-44cf-4fe4-9588-1f2ef7b28fa1.jpg

NSP and Penny Luster like this.
  10. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

I bought one 1950D sometime in the last 10 years I think. No recollection of what I paid. Chump change probably. Filled that GD hole in my Dansco. Yay! :confused:

11. jb10000lakes

jb10000lakes Well-Known Member

I recently had the opportunity to purchase 16 filled 1938-1961/64 Jefferson Nickel booklets for $20 ea. in a blind purchase. Figured I couldn't go wrong with the War Nickels alone. Haven't looked, but I guess I would have 16 worn 1950-Ds in there. I opened one book to quickly "make sure" and most looked worn, but were all as they should be in their locations.

Draft saved Draft deleted